• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS B660-i submersion build Celeron works, 12900KS doesnt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverClock

Registered
for those that love a challenge oh boy! i got one!
OK Help me out here everyone.
ASUS ROG STRIX b660-i wifi mini itx board.
showcasing a pretty promising submersion build held up by hardware glitch.

long story short installed ks, 3090, 64gb 2x32gb 5200 corsair CMT64GX5M2B5200C40
problem persisted with kingston brand 32gb same frequency...

the board would not boot with this setup.

Then I start from the most entry level components to boot the system to see if mobo issue.... install a celeron G6900 and group it with the best ram it would allow a 8gb ddr5 4800 (1 stick)
oh what do ya know it boots.
installed to latest bios, let windows 11 do the updates on drivers and what not.

shut down system reinstalled the hardware i wanted to use and still DRAM error light.

does this board just not work on the ram i bought? i heard these boards had compatibility issues but dang!

is there something in bios i had to change in order for the board to accept the superior ram?

I just would love to share what this kickass PC can do. but of course, ASUS got me waiting.

my next step is to use the ram stick that works with the KS and go from there.

I would check the latest BIOS. Latest releases support KS CPUs and higher density RAM. I know there used to be problems with 32GB modules on some motherboards. I could still run 2x32GB Crucial 4800@5400 on Z690-I Gaming some months ago.
I have no idea how B660-I works with RAM. In theory, it should support your RAM, but may OC worse than Z690 series.
I had no problems with any Kingston DDR5 kit, but I was also not testing any B660 motherboard.
One more thing can be too high pressure on the socket. Check if the cooler is properly mounted. I had problems like that mainly on MSI motherboards, but who knows.
Maybe ASUS will suggest something else or provide a beta BIOS.

thank you for your response,
submersion build no cooler.
This was going to be awesome, then the b660-i happened...
help friend.

I am going to try to run the ram that worked with the newer CPU to see if new bios at least did that. The 3090 will be plugged in after that hopeful post happens.
Something tells me this particular board need me to prearrange the settings in bios before putting in the ram I am trying to get to work on top of the latest bios being loaded. This board seems very handicap from what I can tell.
Once I can solve this, I can share what in my opinion a very very special fluid can do (not mineral oil).... especially for overclockers...

Attachments

• Tankbuild.jpg
    Tankbuild.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13
These are so cool (when other people do it!)!!

Once I can solve this, I can share what in my opinion a very very special fluid can do (not mineral oil).... especially for overclockers...
Not too much if it needs a heatsink. These are cool as hell to see, but never practical. You'll likely need a heatsink on the 12900k tho.

When switching ram, always reset to jedec/auto, put new sticks in, then enable xmp. No other tweaking needed.

After you finished installing the BIOS and Windows updates did you allow the system to reboot fully before swapping hardware?

Were you able to boot with the Kingston 5200 ram, before or after the updates?

My suggestion is to install the stock cooler until you get these bugs worked out. Then you can focus on the submersion aspect of the build.

I will only say there is a reason why people don't pour LN2 on naked IHS. There needs to be something to transfer the heat to the coolant, or the die will hit the thermal wall and shut down. Celeron is ~50W during the start, and 12900KS is ~300W. Power saving doesn't work before BIOS and OS loads. I bet you see a 00 error code or something with 1x during the start. It can be an IMC error, too (2x). If yes, then the CPU protection works and locks the CPU, so it won't be damaged. I guess that the simple solution would be any heatsink on the CPU, even a stock Intel cooler without a fan.

It's submerged in a liquid (he didn't name for some odd reason). Those look like aquarium rocks or something at the bottom below the mobo.

I guess it still requires some kind of heatsink as the starting wattage of higher CPUs is high and I bet that's why it's not even booting.
There are 3 pc fans hooked up to a fan header that's hooked up to the CPU fan connector. these fans are cooling a radiator the coolant is flowing through.

What is "the submersion aspect of the build" ? The ice cube looking stuff?:shrug:
its to take up volume in the tank. the coolant is 100$ a gallon almost. You don't need to use that much of it, so the aesthetic aspect of the build is just for looks and to take up volume so I can use less coolant...
Post magically merged:

I will only say there is a reason why people don't pour LN2 on naked IHS. There needs to be something to transfer the heat to the coolant, or the die will hit the thermal wall and shut down. Celeron is ~50W during the start, and 12900KS is ~300W. Power saving doesn't work before BIOS and OS loads. I bet you see a 00 error code or something with 1x during the start. It can be an IMC error, too (2x). If yes, then the CPU protection works and locks the CPU, so it won't be damaged. I guess that the simple solution would be any heatsink on the CPU, even a stock Intel cooler without a fan.
These are all very interesting theories. If the CPU did that though, in theory wouldn't the CPU light go off on the LED indicators? The coolant is VERY cold and VERY thermal conductive, unfortunately I don't have a code I can see like the other mobos have that little display screen. just the lights. Its stuck-on DRAM. B660-i was very limited, didn't even have the bios flash button on the rear io. something I will always make sure a future board i purchase has.

I am going to see if the basic stick that booted the celeron, boots the ks. I forgot to check that, as I thought the simple bios update was my saving grace, to just put the whole system back together to say guess not hahaha.

It may take a few days but this I believe can get figured out despite how flawed the b660-i clearly is.

corsair removed that one board from their rams compatibility list's.... wonder why?

But I would like to thank everyone for chiming in, I am learning a lot.
Once this is done, this will be literally awesome.

Last edited:
After you finished installing the BIOS and Windows updates did you allow the system to reboot fully before swapping hardware?

Were you able to boot with the Kingston 5200 ram, before or after the updates?

My suggestion is to install the stock cooler until you get these bugs worked out. Then you can focus on the submersion aspect of the build.
hahaha i know your so right, i got so excited! then when i turned on the system and hit the brick wall. I was like why didnt i do the most no brainer thing. why didnt i build this on the test bench before dunking. I usually am a master at my own mistakes hahaha.
but I will admit, I learned a lot about how to properly submerge with all the removing and resubmerging that I only hope my observations help others when I officially post the completed build once the hardware kinks get sorted.
Post magically merged:

I guess it still requires some kind of heatsink as the starting wattage of higher CPUs is high and I bet that's why it's not even booting.
if the problem is just this, I will be so happy. You think the pressure also aids in the CPUS connection in the socket?
I can see these boards have inconsistent tolerances with how fast they solder them together.

ok time to spend some time testing and troubleshooting and I shall get back to everyone.

In the meantime, here is the chassis I built for the rig. I will have a detailed build video I will post in the future once I get this sorted.

Attachments

• Chassis.jpeg
    Chassis.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 6
  • chassis 2.jpg
    chassis 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 6
This is probably not related to your current problems but might become one in the future if your coolant is below ambient temperature, or more specifically, below 0°C. If you are using an M.2 SSD they don't like to be frozen and could cause problems down the road. You say the coolant is "VERY cold". This leads me to believe it is at least sub-ambient. You also mentioned that it is connected to a radiator with fans. Unless you have the radiator submerged in a colder tank, you will only be increasing the temps so that has me curious too. Looking forward to updates and answers to what the heck you're brewing over there. LOL

I was thinking of just grabbing one of those PCIE MOBO troubleshooter cards to grab a code for educational purposes, just because I like to learn every aspect I can of what went wrong. But I am going to test your theory if the stick of ram that worked, does not boot the KS.

Also, in my opinion, I think LN2 isn't directly poured on anything without a medium in between because first off that's dangerous, it has more to do with the immediate temperature change that would crack the fragile components, there is also no way to limit where it would spill onto without that medium put in place. The LN2 touching beyond the IHS would pose damage IMO, I think that's the exact reason people don't pour LN2 on a naked IHS, because it would come in contact with way more than just the IHS.

This is not that cold.

Im curious about the cooling medium... it's temperatures... the pump... specs...

Ok, not that it will really help troubleshoot, but this is such a tease for something so cool.

But along those lines, yeah, for giggles, get a heatsink on there and see if it boots.

Im curious about the cooling medium... it's temperatures... the pump... specs...

Ok, not that it will really help troubleshoot, but this is such a tease for something so cool.

But along those lines, yeah, for giggles, get a heatsink on there and see if it boots.
I understand. In due time, all shall be revealed. I am doing this for those that want more out of their systems. But first let me fire it up, so we can "giggle"...together :cool:

Back