• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damn, tried that last night and no luck. My board is probably busted then D: rip I didn't think at all this nice board would have this happen to it that's why I got it xD

- - - Updated - - -

I got it onto the flash drive did it so it started blinking faster and then it stopped. Tried to turn it on after it supposedly flashed it then nothing still. Do you think the early bios would have caused physical damage?

Its not a physical damage issue, its a bricked BIOS issue. This was a known defect from ASUS, new boards should have a new BIOS and a nice warning saying to update ASAP.

Ok, thank you though I will send it in for repair later today. Hopefully it won't take too long since the wave of repairs was more last month.

Just to make sure, this could explain the leds turning on and nothing happening at all not even a small amount of fan turn after pressing the power button?

Yes, the LEDs and Fans are on a separate controller from what I've been told.

W00t!

Oh wait, I still don't have my board back from the board house :/

Well last time this sort of crap happened with me and ASUS I got to exchange a 4870 Matrix for a 5870 Matrix.

So we shall see. At this point I just want the board so I can put a nice comprehensive guide out there for RyZen overclocking. Although most of the guide is going to say "Click D.O.C.P" I think a section on p-state would be very interesting if more support is rolled out for it on the lower tier boards.

Well last time this sort of crap happened with me and ASUS I got to exchange a 4870 Matrix for a 5870 Matrix.

So we shall see. At this point I just want the board so I can put a nice comprehensive guide out there for RyZen overclocking. Although most of the guide is going to say "Click D.O.C.P" I think a section on p-state would be very interesting if more support is rolled out for it on the lower tier boards.

I have a guide already close to publishing Dolk, and you're right it's pretty short. Wish I had a set of ram that DOCP would work with.

I purchased my motherboard from Microcenter on the launch day for Ryzen. It worked for almost a week then died. After working with Asus on this issue it was discovered that the BIOS had a flaw in the code that causes the board to stop powering on. Asus issued an RMA and I shipped it to Asus' RMA center on March 20th. This is the end of the story. Asus has had the board since and refuses to issue me a refund or a replacement. In the beginning, after I shipped the board to them, I was in the understanding that supply was limited. I expected to wait a week or so until they could acquire a replacement. Many phone calls to Asus later and the RMA status has not changed. Despite a promise for an update, within two days of my initial call, I still haven't received a word. Now the Microcenter shows 10+ in stock along with several large competitor's of Microcenter. Asus has shipped their retail partner's plenty of stock and forgot about the little guy who has already purchased the board. I wished I would have returned the motherboard to Microcenter!

I purchased my motherboard from Microcenter on the launch day for Ryzen. It worked for almost a week then died. After working with Asus on this issue it was discovered that the BIOS had a flaw in the code that causes the board to stop powering on. Asus issued an RMA and I shipped it to Asus' RMA center on March 20th. This is the end of the story. Asus has had the board since and refuses to issue me a refund or a replacement. In the beginning, after I shipped the board to them, I was in the understanding that supply was limited. I expected to wait a week or so until they could acquire a replacement. Many phone calls to Asus later and the RMA status has not changed. Despite a promise for an update, within two days of my initial call, I still haven't received a word. Now the Microcenter shows 10+ in stock along with several large competitor's of Microcenter. Asus has shipped their retail partner's plenty of stock and forgot about the little guy who has already purchased the board. I wished I would have returned the motherboard to Microcenter!
Yes, too bad you didn't return it to Microcenter - you had 15 days. Then, assuming they were out of stock, you could have picked something else up to use. Right now Microcenter is giving $50 off any motherboard purchased with a Ryzen 1700, and $100 of a motherboard purchased with a 1700X or 1800X.

I had purchased a second board anyways so I am not sitting here without. Still though, Asus should do better.

When I returned my first CH6 with the BIOS brick it ended up on the shelves of Fry's again. Their techs didn't check even after I gave them a full briefing on the issue and told them to warn customers. It was the correct thing to go through ASUS for repair. However, it is very disappointing to see that they are not resupplying any of the RMA houses with stock. I guess new customers are more important than current customers.

Yeah, they already have your money. You're pretty much stuck waiting.

Yes, but make sure to do it with BIOS 1002, or whichever is the latest on ASUS website.

I have already tried the BIOS flashback (clearing CMOS before and after) to 1002. When I remove the RAM I get error code 4b?

15 days for CPUs and motherboards, 30 days for most everything else.

I have already tried the BIOS flashback (clearing CMOS before and after) to 1002. When I remove the RAM I get error code 4b?

I am not familiar with that code. When you say you removed the RAM, do you mean all of it?

Also, Board should be here tomorrow.

Back