• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus essence STX ii 7.1 sound card and Logitech speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johhsmith1010

I am using a set of Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers.

In my old PC they were connected to an Asus Xonar D2X sound card. The Logitech control pod connects to the sound card via a standard set of cables (green for 2 front speakers, black for 2 rear speakers and orange for center speaker and sub).

image sharing sites

I recently got a new PC with an Asus essence STX ii 7.1 sound card and I don't know if the card is faulty or I don't have the right cabling. The STX comes with a main board and a daughter board.

The main board has inputs for 2/2.1 speakers, headphones, line in and SPDIF out

forum image hosting

The daughter board has the inputs for the 7.1 speakers

free image uploader

What I need to know is on the daughter board it has inputs for each individual speaker (front right, front left, center, sub, rear right and rear left). Does that mean it will not work with my Logitech speakers? The cables coming from the Logitech control pod are 3 jacks (green black orange) and it looks like the STX sound card wants 6 cables/jacks.

Can anyone please tell me how I get my speakers working with the STX sound card?

You could just grab a spdif/coax male-to-male cable and hook up via the single connection on the mainboard and back of the Logi speakers where the connections are.

You could just grab a spdif/coax male-to-male cable and hook up via the single connection on the mainboard and back of the Logi speakers where the connections are.

Thanks I have already tried that and it didn't work.

I guess what I really need to know is will my 3 cables coming from the Logitech control work with the daughter board or do I have to have 6 cables plugged into the daughter board one for each speaker?

Keep in mind I don't know how well this would work, but I suppose you COULD grab a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable for each of the wires with multiple channels. Not quite sure how it would work or what signal would go where though, which would be a conundrum. If the spdif doesn't work for you then I'm at a loss for that setup.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable here can help you better than I, NiHaoMike tends to handle this stuff rather well. I'll shoot him a PM to hop over here.

Thanks I have already tried that and it didn't work.

I guess what I really need to know is will my 3 cables coming from the Logitech control work with the daughter board or do I have to have 6 cables plugged into the daughter board one for each speaker?

Thanks. I am sorry for being a bit thick here but are you saying I do need 6 cables/jacks in the sound card and my current 3 cables/jacks are no good for this sound card?

If that is the case I need to see if I can return the card and get a sound card that will work with my 5.1 speakers.

You need 3 of these. The one you plug into the green jack on the speakers will get plugged into the front left and right channels on sound card, the black will get plugged into the back left and right, etc.

Those adapters are the solution. But few consumer analog amplifiers are good enough to get the most out of a good sound card. Nowadays, pretty much all the good amplifiers are digital, which run every bit as well with onboard. Good headphones are a way to make the most of a good sound card. Those with some older professional grade audio hardware can also make good use of the analog outputs.

EDIT: I checked and those speakers actually have a digital amplifier. In that case, use a RCA cable to connect the S/PDIF out on the sound card to the S/PDIF in on the amplifier. It must be a high frequency rated cable like a video cable, not just any RCA cable. Sadly, that means your sound card would just be an expensive interface unless you have some other use for it. If your onboard has S/PDIF out like most do nowadays, it will work every bit as good.

Last edited:
Back