• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS KFN32-D SLI Socket F Dual CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machapungo

I'm an OLD geek and I'm hoping you young geeks can give a few words of wisdom. Just for laughs, I'll tell you that I hired on with IBM in 1966. Also, in
1976 2GB of memory occupied floor space of about 10 x 20 feet in refrigerator
sized boxes and the separate computer took about 3 x 8 feet of floor space.
Now, we smart monkeys have crammed that and more in a shoe box.

I'm in the process of making a new system to replace my 5 yr old self made system that can now barely grunt under the software load.

For the new system I have a spacious mucho fan Antec P190 E-ATX case and plan an Asus KFN32-D SLI mobo. I looked this case over upon delivery and it is a quality black beauty. The dual power supplies may not be perfect but they should suffice for awhile. I don't like Intel CUZ without AMD competition we would all be paying $2k for a Pentium 4. I don't know about you but I tend to shy away from bleeding edge for cost and reliability so even if Intel leads the pack in best top end performance, it matters not to me. I need to determine best bang for the buck (2 x 2GB) ram that is compatible with the board. What do you recommend? I'd go with 4GB sticks but the costs that I've seen are astronomical. Have you guys seen any 4GB sticks that are reasonable that might be compatible with the KFN32?

Just for info: So far, I tentatively plan a 2216 HE opteron (only one to start, but the server board takes two), 8GB of ram to start ( the board takes up to 8 sticks), a Dynatron 558 CPU cooler, temporarily stick with my old lame video card, and my old lame 17" CTX CRT monitor (looks nice, but it's a desktop
boulder).

What say ye?
ET

Back