• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS m4n78 PRO LAN won't connect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rippedsocks

Phenom x3 710
4gb (2x3gb) xms2 ddr2
m4n78 mobo (geforce 8300)

Note: This is XP SP3, and these are the latest nfroce drivers

When i try to install the nvidia chipset drivers I check every box to install each of the onboard components, onboard video, network, audio, raid, etc. and hit next, but before it starts I get a prompt saying there is an exsting driver for the network controller. I assume it was automatically installed during the OS installation. It said I needed to unsinstall the driver to continue, that it required me to restart, and schedule it as a startup task. So i click continue and restart but when I restart the whole process restarts. I recive the same prompt of a preexisting driver and restart.

I notice that I am connected to my network, however with limited connectivity, so I restart the chipset driver installation and uncheck network driver. The installation runs smoothly and after a restart I have video, audio, etc. but he Lan was still connected with limited connectivity. I then try to update the driver from the .inf in the driver package manually. The driver successfully updates but im still only connected with limited connectivity. This is not a network problem because all other computers work through etherenet and I even tried assigning a static IP.

The board is completely compatible with XP and besides this network issue everything works fine. Can someone point me in the right direction?

....In device manager I have in Nvidia 10/100 thing in network devices and then Nvidia Network enumerator and the Local area connection is always a number not just "local area connection." After every subsequent restart it changes to something like "Local area connection 4," or 8 or 9 and so on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

please excuse the typos

Don't know if it'll work but this is worth a try. Unplug your network cable, reboot and enter BIOS, turn off your on-board LAN controller and reboot into Windows. Check in Device Manager to make sure there are no network adapters listed.

Then, reboot into BIOS and turn the on-board LAN controller back on. When you reboot again Windows should find new hardware and allow you to use the driver disc to select the driver for it. Plug your LAN cable in and check availability (may require another reboot but shouldn't).

Like I said - should work, but with Windows you never know ...

Back