• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus IX with Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

This has to be the biggest P.I.T.A I have ever dealt with. Can't just load the M2 driver to the USB and search for it like you used to do during the install...oh no. Can't even load Win 7 to a regular drive. You have to use the Asus EZ installer utility. That should be easy right? Not if you try from a Win 10 system...oh no. The USB drive would not format using the software. I had to move to my work laptop with Win 7. It's working now, but taking forever. Part is my fault because I have the Win7.iso on a cloud drive and I'm connecting wirelessly. I downloaded all of the drivers for Win 7, but no way am I placing on the USB that I have Win7 on. Who knows what secure boot will do.

I know there were no M2 drives when 7 came out, but you should be able to just place them on the USB and say, here they are....contine please.

I spent like an hour or more creating the "bootable" USB using the Asus tool and the stupid thing wouldn't boot. I found out last week while upgrading an Alienware Alpha from 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 activated without me signing on to the MS account or even entering a key. I'm selling it and thought the OS upgrade would be a better selling point.

The plan for this system was to install Window 7 and do the same thing. I just gave up and installed Win 10 from a CD. I did NOT enter a key during installation, but I did sign on to my MS account. I can't believe it activated again, all by itself. I checked the key that was assigned to it and it wasn't the key that came with the CD.

I'm not complaining, but MS has to be doing two of three things:

1. Still allowing the free upgrade if you do an in place upgrade from at least Win 8.1.
2. Checking your account for licenses that haven't "phoned home" in XX amount of time and allowing you to reuse those automatically.
3. I'm a special person with free unlimited Windows 10 licenses and they just love ME.

MS is playing fast and loose with Windows 10 activation it seems. Did you see the recent thread about this over in the MS Operating Systems section?

Back