• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T SE with i7 930. Idle temps too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andern

Just bought myself a new rig. Here's my setup:

MB: ASUS P6T SE
CPU: Intel Core i7-930
Disks: 2x Intel X25-M 80gb in RAID-0
Mem: 6x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 2gb CL9
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5970 BE
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 700D

Cooling:
Stock i7 CPU-cooler.
In my chassis I have one 140mm fan directed upwards from the bottom of the chassis(default in the 700D), one 140mm fan blowing outwards at the back of the chassis, and one 120mm fan blowing outwards at the top of the chassis.

Everything is set up and works, but the overall temperatures of the components are way too high. They are so so high that I haven't dared to run a stress test yet, but during half an hour of heavy gaming the GFX peaked at 91C and the CPU at 81C. My room temperature is ~26-29C. Idle temps are listed below:

Idle temps:
MB: ~54C
CPU: ~53C
GFX: ~60C
MEM: Unknown, but they are hot as hell when I touch them. Comparing it to touching the GFX I would guess ~60C
Room temperature: 26-29C

I found out using GPU-Z that the GPU-fan was only running at 30%, even under 100% GPU load. I had to upgrade to the latest BIOS on my Radeon card in order to get fan-control. I tried some gaming with the fan set to 100%, and the card peaked at ~70C, which is okay I guess, although the sound from the fan was unbearable.

I have also tried a lot of different voltage levels both on the CPU and the memory, and I managed to get the CPU to idle at ~47C with core voltage set to 1.1.

At the moment my rig is running without my chassis left side door, but the temps are the same.

When it comes to the CPU-cooler I have double checked that it fits perfectly. I also tried to remove the pre-applied thermal paste and replace it with my Arctic Alumina paste without any change in temperature.

Cable management should be good enough.

Am I missing something? I have played around with the BIOS-settings for hours and hours without any significant change in temperature.

Then what do you suggest would be my next move? Get more case-fans? Get a new CPU-cooler? Certainly there must be something I can do.

your temps seem about right for the stock cooler and low airflow to me

+1 on the temps.

andern said:
Then what do you suggest would be my next move? Get more case-fans? Get a new CPU-cooler? Certainly there must be something I can do.

After market cooler should help, the idle temps aren't what you should be looking at its the load temps that you will want to watch.

Depending on your ambient temps. These where taken around 24C ambient. But a good aftermarket cooler can change the numbers a lot.

Idle with good after market cooler:
D14idle1.jpg

Full load with after market cooler:
D14Load1.jpg

This looks way too high..
@ stock speed my i7 930 with my CoolIT ALC Eco i got :
idle : 37-38
load : 58-65

Cheerz,

looks about right to me...bit on the high side, but well within what could be disregarded because of sensor error, ambients, and batch differences.

This looks way too high..
@ stock speed my i7 930 with my CoolIT ALC Eco i got :
idle : 37-38
load : 58-65

Cheerz,

Yes but your temps are with using the aftermarket cooler, with the stock cooler his numbers are about where they should be and are about what mine where at with the stock cooler.

Back