• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andjayik

Registered
Just bought a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2 and want to know what setting disables my hard drives from showing in the safetly remove hardware icons? I have 1 ssd and 2 sata hard drives when i click on the icon they all show up in there, how do i disable it from showing in there?

what setting disables my hard drives from showing in the safetly remove hardware icons? = The very first thought is the drives are not runnning in AHCI mode and that is the first requirement for being able to hotswap a Sata hard drive.
RGone...

my main ssd drive is in AHCI mode and so were the other sata drives, then i left the main ssd drive in ahci and put the other 2 in ide and it still showed up in the safely remove icon?

No idea, I have the same board and have never seen this before.

Crap, I did not read his first post correctly. What he wants to happen is something I never pay any attention to anyway. But there is a way to do what he wants. M$ has a little paper about eSata drives and their indentification correctly. From that paper I extracted the part about modding the 'registry' to remove the incorrectly identified INTERNAL drives from the Removable drives list in the right lower system tray.

Incorrect SATA Configuration
Incorrect SATA configuration can appear in the following situations:
• If the system incorrectly identifies an internal SATA port as external, Windows disables LPM on that port and therefore cannot conserve power to the port. In addition, Windows treats the internal non-removable device that is connected to that port as a removable device. For example, it appears in the Safely Remove Device dialog box in the system tray and in Devices and Printers.
• If an external SATA port is not correctly configured, it is possible for a device that is connected to the port to be considered not removable and therefore to fail to appear in the Safely Remove Device dialog box in the system tray and in Devices and Printers.

If an internal SATA port is incorrectly configured as an external SATA port, a system vendor or administrator can correct it without updating the system BIOS or the Windows software.
To work around this problem, you can disable external SATA support on a per-channel basis by setting the value of the TreatAsInternalPort registry key to 1 and then rebooting the system.
If the system has both internal and external SATA ports, but a device that is attached to an internal SATA port appears in the Safely Remove Devices dialog box in the system tray or in Devices and Printers, you should reset the registry key for the port.
For example, if only channel 2 is an actual external SATA port, but all four SATA ports were set as external, the following commands set the ports correctly:
Code:
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel1" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel3" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

The channel numbers that Device Manager shows might not match the channel numbers in the registry. You might be required to set the value, reboot the system, and verify that the appropriate port is set correctly. For more information, see “The disk drive numbers may not correspond as expected to the SATA channel numbers when you set up Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 on a computer that has multiple SATA or RAID disks,” which is listed in “Resources.”.

Like I said at first, the drives appearing as removable does not bother me, but there is how you work around the bother.
RGone...

EDIT:
Most motherboards that I have used are 'never' setup to recognize internal sata drives in AHCI mode the correct way for Windows to know how to set them up in the registry.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
If you're running Win8 that might be the answer. It's something I noticed but only in Win 8. Don't ask me why cause I never tried to find out. Just noticed it does it. Everything still works fine. Ain't broke don't fix.

Looks like RGone has a solution :thup: if you're interested in fixing it.

Okay am no webpage code genius but I looked at what I had copied directly into my post originally and found a problem that surely would compound itself if one copied the reg adds directly.

This section of the reg add was being shown this way >> msahci\Con troller0\Channel1" << see that space right after Con troller0? That space was not in the copied text for the reg add and nothing I could do in typing it or REcopying and pasting would remove that space between Con troller0 and so on. So I had to go back and edit that portion of the post to put the reg adds in a 'code' entry mode and then the space was not there.

If the reg add key was copied with the space or written by hand with the space, the reg key certainly would not have worked. For some reason that space seemed exactly in the middle of that line of text. No clue why, I just did what I could to make sure the space was not there. There was no space anywhere I saw that reg key add shown in other forums or pdf files. Not sure why our forum wanted to fork with the text.
RGone...

EDIT:
Well I will just be dipped. Google 2006 hits showed this for that crazyazz space thing.
Also check your setting in ACP -> vBulletin Options -> Thread Display Options -> Number of Characters Before Wrapping Text
Try increasing that value to something higher.

It was suggested to enter in "code" brackets as I had done and it worked for me but not for others. Glad I decided to follow up since using code brackets will not fix the problem everytime but only actual forum mod will fix. Sillyazz forum stuff.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Back