• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth X79 VRM Temps almost 100°!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BobN will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it depends on the specific VRM used. With the Sabertooth's 'military standards' (whatever those are, they are not defined), one would expect them to use better quality ones to handle it... but I dont know specifically. I do believe however that they can handle a lot of heat regardless of standards. As always with any temperature, the lower the better.

First up, silicon vs silicone:
Silicon is an element (like iron, oxygen, uranium, etc.), we're all most familiar with it in Silicon Dioxide flavor, aka silica, aka sand (and toothpaste).

Silicone is a polymer made up of all sorts of stuff, mostly silicon and oxygen/carbon/hydrogen, but also other stuff. What you're most familiar with it as depends on what you do, but it's used as a sealant (cars, aquariums), heat transfer prevention (oven mitts), implants (...), lubicants (automotive/etc, as well as ...), and so on.

Silicon is a semiconductor that is used to make various ICs.
Silicone is a rubbery substance that is used to make fake ...s :D

Now that we have that straight, MOSFETs are rated to a wide variety of temperatures. I've seen MOSFETs rated as low as 80°C and as high as 175°C. What is VERY worth noting is that the rated temp is for the die itself, not for the board around the package (that being what Asus temp sensors measure).
MOSFETs have been exploding on motherboards since MOSFETs were first used on motherboards, X79 just happens to have a special problem with them, largely due to high draw chips and very very limited space for the power section and the complete lack of airflow over the MOSFET heatsink(s) when a tower type heatsink is being used.
Gigabyte is most famous for it, largely because most of the initial semi-extreme overclocking was done on Gigabyte boards.

The "Military spec" claimed in the Sabertooth stuff is a lovely made up thing. Much like the "Super Alloy" capacitors/inductors/MOSFETs on the ROG stuff.
It's nonsense, crap, junk, marketing, and garbage. Don't believe it, certainly not more than you're willing to believe in New and Improved Laundry Detergent, or the Nigerian Prince Millionaire who Just Needs A Bit Of Help.

OMG, I didnt notice Silcone and Silicon, HAHAHAHAHAHA..(note, laughing at myself here :))

Last edited:
Okay I put an 80mm fan over the VRM heatsink. I tie-wrapped it from the top of the case so the bottom half of the fan is blowing directly over the heatsink.

It dropped my VRM temps from 96-98 to 88-89!

I tried turning my rear exhaust fan around and it dropped the VRM temps to 84-85 but I thought it's not really worth it as it will pull dust and other stuff in through the big grill so I turned it back around. Oh, and my VCCSA max temps went from 75 to 65!

During 3ds Max rendering (the most taxing normal thing my computer will be doing) my VRM temps don't even break 70 now (before they hit 77) So I think I'm gonna be okay.

Here are a few images to show how I installed the 80mm fan. I think I could have gone with a 92mm but this should still work nicely. Thanks everyone!

outside.jpg

Inside.jpg

Back