• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth Z87 - 4770k CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GodforSaken

Hello guys...

Im fairly new to this whole ocerlocking thing so bare with me on this :)

I got a new rig running specs see below please, with Asus Sabertooth Z87 and 4770k cpu running at stock 3.5ghz, i was wondering if i manage to overclock my CPU to lets say 4.0ghz would i feel any difference lets say in battlefield 3? or even at 4.4ghz, and if i do that is it true that my CPU life will drop?

this maybe a really stupid question but what edge will this overclocking give me overall? i see a lot of people are overclocking their 4770k's to 4.4 and even some at 4.6ghz but is this really worth if it will drop down the CPU life?

Many thanks in advance

My PC specs:

CPU Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro H100i Liquid Extreme Performance CPU Cooler
Motherboards for Intel ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA1150, Intel Z87, DDR3
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast 4x8GB DDR3 1600MHz 32GB
VGA Cards Asus GTX760 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E
Solid-State Drives (SSD)Corsair Force LS CSSD-F240GBLS-BK 240GB SSD Sata
Power Supply SeaSonic 1000W Platinum-Series Active
Case Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition White

You will need to buy another CPU before degredation takes it out at those clockspeeds.

As far as performance goes, it depends. You may not get a FPS increase in BF3, but other things games/applications you will. I don't recall any testing on 4770K at stock versus say 4.5Ghz on that game though.

We'll truth to be told, my PC is running really fast and my CPU temp while running battlefield 64 slot full server I get average of 35c and average of 40% load which I believe that's really good, and fps wise I get 60-110 fps with 1920x1080 res at ultra settings, also should I risk it and overlock my CPU to 4.0 ghz won't that lower down the life of my CPU if I do overclock ??

35C load in that game? What are you using to monitor temps? Try realtemp and see what that reports.

You can ask the same question in different ways, but the answer will still be the same. Overclocking will lower the life of your PC, but the overclocks you are looking at, again, you will want/need another CPU before the overclocking kills it. People will ride a 4.5Ghz overclock for the useful life of the PC. :)

As far as the risk, sir, that is a question for you to answer. You came to overclockers.com so you know what ours is going to be. ;)

Thank a lot for your prompt reply, I'm using my ASUS software to track the CPU temp, but as you said I will try the realtemp and see what i get...

I guess I will stay at the stock speed for now until I feel the need for the overclock I don't really want to risk my PC at any cost....

Thanks for everything

The CPU Temp in Ai Suite is called Tcase, and is different than the core temp's (Tjunction) EarthDog is referring to w/ Real Temp.

The CPU Temp in Ai Suite is called Tcase, and is different than the core temp's (Tjunction) EarthDog is referring to w/ Real Temp.

Last night i tried the realtemp while running battlefield3 full 64 slot server, and my everage CPU temp was around 42-46c, thats good right?

Back