• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS tuf gaming-plus wifi + PCIe nvme adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

worrbro

Hey guys,
I've recently built a new system with this motherboard. Overall I can say the experience/performance is good I can't complain. I have come across an issue and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this. So this board comes with 2 m.2 slots which is great. I've got them both populated without an issue. I recently acquired a Toshiba 1tb nvme ssd (not m.2) and wanted to add this to my system. I went on amazon and picked up a PCIe nvme adapter card with slots for 2 nvme ssd's. The Toshiba ssd I have is good and I have confirmed this. My issues comes when I install the PCIe adapter in my bottom 4x slot, the pc no longer is able to boot to bios or windows, I just get a black screen. The qled indicators on the motherboard show a green light on the bios indicator. Not sure if its the adapter that is bad but it does not come off as cheap construction or anything. I have also tried connecting sata cable from adapter to sata on my motherboard, same issue, no post. Any suggestions or tips regarding this? Link to adapter is below. Appreciate it guys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z57S7T1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1vb

Complete current build list:

ASUS tuf gaming-plus wifi motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz RAM
Corsair h100i liquid AIO
1 Sabrent Rocket m.2 ssd 512gb (boot)
1 SP m.2 ssd 1TB
1 Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
5 Corsair LL120mm RGB Case Fans
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super 8gb
Fractal Design Meshify-C case

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Corsair RM850 Power supply

Is that slot disabled when using both m.2 slots? I'm not sure how it breaks down... the specfications/manual tells you.

Is the sata drive in the right slot on your add in card?

I'll try and help but I do not have a AMD x570 MB. PCIe Break Down from the manual when using a 2nd Gen CPU:
When running Dual Video cards:
* 1 - 3.0 x16 link -> from CPU
* 1 - 4.0 x16 link running @ x4 -> from Chipset
2 - 4.0 x1 links -> from Chipset
When running M.2 drives:
- 1 M.2_1 3.0 x4 link -> from CPU -> This is a free connection from the CPU.
- 1 M.2_2 4.0 x4 link -> from Chipset -> This seams to make the 2nd x16 slot non functional :(

You do not have a x4 slot on that MB (x570)?? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/overview/
What MB are you running???

Thank You For Your Time :thup:

Could be the arrangement of the drives? Where do you have all the M.2 installed which slots etc. The bandwidth on the lower x4 slot is limited and IIRC shared with the lower M.2 slot

Is that slot disabled when using both m.2 slots? I'm not sure how it breaks down... the specfications/manual tells you.

Is the sata drive in the right slot on your add in card?

Funny thing is the adapter didn't come with any sort of a manual which is annoying. I was using the bottom slot on the adapter and I see that the bottom is supposed to be tied with PCIe. On the reviews of that adapter on amazon I see pictures of a user only using that adapter with the bottom slot populated...

I will try just the upper slot and get back to you. I had briefly tried using that slot but it does seem like it is meant for different type of nvme ssd even though the amazon product page shows both of them being capable of accepting this type of drive.

Could be the arrangement of the drives? Where do you have all the M.2 installed which slots etc. The bandwidth on the lower x4 slot is limited and IIRC shared with the lower M.2 slot

Yeah I was using just the bottom slot.

I'll try and help but I do not have a AMD x570 MB. PCIe Break Down from the manual when using a 2nd Gen CPU:
When running Dual Video cards:
* 1 - 3.0 x16 link -> from CPU
* 1 - 4.0 x16 link running @ x4 -> from Chipset
2 - 4.0 x1 links -> from Chipset
When running M.2 drives:
- 1 M.2_1 3.0 x4 link -> from CPU -> This is a free connection from the CPU.
- 1 M.2_2 4.0 x4 link -> from Chipset -> This seams to make the 2nd x16 slot non functional :(

You do not have a x4 slot on that MB (x570)?? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/overview/
What MB are you running???

Thank You For Your Time :thup:

I am using the bottom PCIe slot for the adapter, the top is populated with the gpu. I am not sure I am understanding your post. Both m/2 slots buil;d into the mb are populated.

script>

Gcqk2zC

Gcqk2zC

Gcqk2zC

Gcqk2zC

So I am guessing then if the lower x4 slot is shared with the lower m.2 slot, that means I can't populate the lower PCIe slot if I have the second lower m.2 slot filled on the motherboard??

Also, on the adapter the top slot is tied to the sata connection. Unfortunately my nvme ssd does not fit in that slot. I don't think it would work anyway because the bottom PCIe slot appears to be shared with the bottom m.2 slot on the motherboard. Totally a bummer IMO it would be better if they were seperate. I have an older 860 evo standard ssd I think I will throw in instead from my previous build. Maybe I can throw the PCIe adapter with the nvme ssd in the older system and see if I can utilize it there. Thank you guys for all the input I really appreciate it!

-worrbro

Back