• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT7-MAX2 or NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oo_7

As the title says, i am looking at getting a New mother board at the end of the Month. Now i have read afew reviews on both these mobos and Both look really, really good. I am not sure if i should go for the nForce2 chip set or the KT400... What is the best for Overclocking?
Thanx in advance.

AT7-MAX2 or NF7-S

hmmmm, i'm not sure. i'm looking into getting a p4 system, but now that the bartons are out i'm rethinking that. and so far the kd7 via chipset mobos seems to be a better option than the nforce 2 chipset mobos, since the nf7 and nf7-s don't have the mega awesome soundchips that the asus nforce 2 mobos have.
:(

Sound is the last thing i worry about as i use my pci sound card. I am just looking for a mobo that i can OC to the Max... I have ordered the Abit NF7-s and will have it on Friday:D
Will see how things go and will post back once i have had a go at it... A m8 just got one and was really happy with it, so i hope i am too...

Its a tough decision, you're looking at performace vs stability.

The NForce2 chipset is very quick, but it is just WAY too immature. I know 3 people with boards based on the set and have nothing but problems, and drivers come out like every week.

On the other hand, the KT-400 has a real bottleneck, but is STABLE AS HELL! Drivers have matured and its almost as good as it gets.

Personally I'll take stability over performance. I would rather not have the fastest rig on the block, but never have downtime.

I am pretty sure you will be happy with the NF7-S.Especially if you get the new i.2 version with added VDD and other goodies.:D

I recommend the NF7-S.
You can lock in the PCI/AGP at 33/66 and run the fsb and memory speeds syncronously or asyncronously.
The sound is every bit as good or better than my old SB Live.

I just sold my NF7-S rev 1.1 (which I thought was an awesome board) and have the rev 1.2 on the way. I wouldn't have bothered but I want to see if I can push my 1700+ TBred B to more than the 2200 that I was getting with the rev 1.1 due to vcore only going up to 1.8v.

Good luck on your choice ... both boards are excellent

The overclockers choise is surely the NF7-S, revision 1.2 is probably the best OC board out there.

AT7 MAX2 has IDE RAID and cool looks, but is a slower/older chipset.

The main thing is that you don't get lockable PCI with the KT400, and if you are going overclock FSB above 166MHz you might want that.

Back