• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP-M 2400+ 5x 1.45v what is the lowest safe voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

Taking you way back! :eek:

What is the lowest safe voltage for an Athlon XP-M 2400+ 5.0x 1.45v? I have tried 1.0v, I would like to go lower. Will it be stable at that voltage.

Can this chip hit 3.0x multiplier? My machine seems to lock up at that low a multiplier.

safe voltage? do you mean stable voltage? If thats the case then only one way to find out.

Yes stable. I don't have the time to test extensively so I wanted to pull the wisdom. What is the lowest voltage that generally works reliably on these xp-m chips, and then I will add a bit for safety.

trying for a underclock?

I think I remember people running like 1.0-.90 at speeds around 1ghz and above.

trying for a underclock?

I think I remember people running like 1.0-.90 at speeds around 1ghz and above.

More like setting up the idle speed and voltage.

It's definitely an AMD 2400+ 1.45v, not sure what the lowest multiplier is, it might be 3x; but the computer dies if you set that mutlitpler.

x4 is the minimum multiplier that will work.
Regarding voltage. Just run prime95 with it at the voltage setting and see that it's stable.

4x does work fine @ 1v, but 3x crashes immediately.

It seems a few places say 0.925v is the lowest I can go. Is that for all chips or just a few? Why doesn't the 3x multipier work?

I couldn't find a spec sheet on AMD 2400+ mobile chips; it must exist somewhere?

i linked to one above, you have to the the OPM...the ADXA or what ever number...acually it tells you on that site what to look for but its on the chip.

what about lowering the FSB

The processor he describes does exist. It's the Barton Athlon XP-M 2400+ (133x13.6=1800mhz). 45-53W TDP.

Lower multis are not always more stable. There's a sweet spot where you can run at the lowest voltage and remain stable. Anything higher or lower and it will become unstable without some more juice. It's rare for people to try lower and lower voltages. I am guessing you are going for power efficiency and low cooling needs (are you trying to passively cool an Athlon XP-M?) The only way to know is to test, it's different for every chip, but low voltages should be safe (in the sense of not hurting the chip) whereas high voltages can be dangerous to the chip (though you have to get pretty high). It might be unstable though.

x4 is the mimum multiplier that works at FSB over 100MHz. x3 should/may work if you set the FSB to 100MHz

The processor he describes does exist. It's the Barton Athlon XP-M 2400+ (133x13.6=1800mhz). 45-53W TDP.

Lower multis are not always more stable. There's a sweet spot where you can run at the lowest voltage and remain stable. Anything higher or lower and it will become unstable without some more juice. It's rare for people to try lower and lower voltages. I am guessing you are going for power efficiency and low cooling needs (are you trying to passively cool an Athlon XP-M?) The only way to know is to test, it's different for every chip, but low voltages should be safe (in the sense of not hurting the chip) whereas high voltages can be dangerous to the chip (though you have to get pretty high). It might be unstable though.

This is an old Emachines laptop and it get very hot so I wanted to mostly run at low multis unless performance is really needed. It looks like 0.95v and 4x is the lowest I can go and ensure the machine won't BOD.

Now if I could only control the fan and speed it up a bit. Any ideas how to access the fan speed controls in such machines? (Emachine M5310)

you'd be lucky if such ccontrols exist

They exist for many laptops using NoteBook Hardware Control program. I just don't know enough about the APCI to configure it properly or the Emachine. Would love if someone who knows that stuff would lead me in the right direction.
:beer:

Back