• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi HD4870 Fan speed adjustment in Ubuntu 8.04?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Is there any way I can speed up the fan on my HD4870 in Ubuntu 8.04? I installed Cat 8.9 from ATI's website. There seems to be no option to edit profiles and AMDCCCLE is does not have any options to create one either.

Well I'm not really sure how to do that, but I suspect it's really a pain considering that ATI + Linux makes people want to kill themselves....

Found it! Just installed Unbuntu 8.04 on a partition on my hdd and installed ATI 8.9 drivers and CCC worked great, easy even. I setup a crossfire chain, it says its on and enabled...CCC still shows disabled adapter (still think my crossfire setup isnt working, freaking POS biostar i45 manual jumpers are set right but whatever). Either way, to change the fan controls type the following into your terminal:

Code:
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 40"

Now thats for 40% fan, change the 40 to whatever you'd like. Thats for adapter 0, you can list adapters to see what number yours is, should be 0, I have 2 but that fanspeed code doesnt work for the second slot, cant figure out why yet.

Also since I enabled crossfire in Linux, my network adapter doesnt work? I also saw that an update changed it to r8169 driver instead of r8168?! Any way to go back to the r8168 driver?

Glad to hear you got it working. I would have just given up upon hearing the words "ATI" and "Linux" in the same sentence.

I fixed the network adapter...randomly restarted and it worked, but previous restarts didn't? Odd? I thought I was playing with Linux not Vista :). I sent tickets to ATI about checking and setting fan speeds in Linux since my 4870s w/o a fan adjustment run under 15% each and catch fire and burn down small villages, only automated retard responses so far... I'll keep posted.

It's just one story after another, but all the same... ATI + Linux = :(

I got another response stating that all ATI Linux driver releases are unsupported and the best I can do is send feedback to the Linux driver team. They said I will most likely not receive a response as it is feedback...shame shame...

Yup... this is why Linux users don't touch ATI with a 10 foot pole...

Back