• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attn: Need to know what to buy? This should help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't send in the scores to futuremark when I did the bench. I am in new jersey right now and will be for a couple months, but when I get back, I will run the bench again and get a url. The score was a little over 20,000 for the non-overclocked Radeon 9800 and just a tad higher for the GF FX. When both were overclocked the Radeon 9800 (460/760) got 21.5k and the GF FX (526/934) got 22.8k. On full image quality (including the settings in 3dmark) on both cards (not overclocked) the 9800 got 13.5k and the fx got 12k. When the cards were overclocked, the 9800 got 14k and the fx got 12.7k. Both cards were tested on my system in my sig after a clean windows install.

When you tested them (you may not have had a chance at a good comparision, being you had a lot to do inbetween tests) did you get an idea of which one had better image quality? Or were they neck and neck?

This was really helpfull. Sorry, I'm one of the guys asking about "which card" or, "Is this card sorth getting...". My thing was, I used to have an ATI card (rage pro) and hated it, seemed like I needed a patch for ecery game I had to use it. So I went to the GeForce cards. I liked them. Reminded me a little of the 3dfx/voodoo cards.

Now, i'm looking to upgrade and saying.. "what makes this ATI card better than this GeForce card?" Is there a list, or can someone make one, that lists competing ati/geforce cards, and their hits and misses, pros/cons? From a non biased point of view?

For the record, I decided on a 9500pro :) I'll give ATI another chance..

palee72 said:
This was really helpfull. Sorry, I'm one of the guys asking about "which card" or, "Is this card sorth getting...". My thing was, I used to have an ATI card (rage pro) and hated it, seemed like I needed a patch for ecery game I had to use it. So I went to the GeForce cards. I liked them. Reminded me a little of the 3dfx/voodoo cards.

Now, i'm looking to upgrade and saying.. "what makes this ATI card better than this GeForce card?" Is there a list, or can someone make one, that lists competing ati/geforce cards, and their hits and misses, pros/cons? From a non biased point of view?

For the record, I decided on a 9500pro :) I'll give ATI another chance..

No, no, I think you have me wrong. I think its great people ask for advice from people. I was just seeing if this could help before they had to ask, and if they still had to ask, they could post right here and have their question answered. I saw that there were so many threads on the same subject, some people didn't have their question answered (properly at least).

You can ask your comparison questions right here. I will try to answer them, as well as others. I'm definately not biased to which card to buy. I would buy whatever has the best price/performance ratio in my price range. I recently bought a 9500pro and have been very happy with it.

But I REALLY REALLY suggest getting a 9700np if you can. This is THE BEST buy right now. Awesome price/performance ratio. But if you decide to still go with the 9500pro, you definately won't be dissapointed.

Here is a very nice guide for buying cards that will help you with choosing between nVidia and ATi:

http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/cardguide.html

Any other questions, please ask.

When you tested them (you may not have had a chance at a good comparision, being you had a lot to do inbetween tests) did you get an idea of which one had better image quality? Or were they neck and neck?

They were very close, but the 9800 had slightly better FSAA quality (when compare at 6x (9800) and 8xs (fx)) when compared in UT2003, Unreal 2 and C&C Generals. Using aniso tester for the AF, the 9800 had slightly better quality in the 8x vs. 8x and significantly greater quality in the16x vs. 8x. When we tested the quality settings we had both comps with each card in them running side by side and we took some screenshots from the games. I will try and post some of them.

Sweet, some people in here host pictures. Since these cards should be coming down in price soon (some are over $500) people will be looking into them. Would be nice to have some more information. Thanks.

I have the pics, but my e-mail isn't working, so i cant host them. :( I'm gonna contact my EP and see what they say. dam.n :(

does anyone here have an aol account? I can send to other aol users, but no one else. They can then have the pics hosted.

I bought a 9500pro and I love it. My buddy is going to get one also, but after reading these forums I told him to look into 9700np. The thing I want to know is, we looked around and the 9700np that are in his price range $200 all OEM and WHITE BOX cards or PowerColor (I dont hear good things about these). Also some are labled "EVIL COMMANDO 2 Radeon 9700 gold" and some are not. Now would he be better off just getting a ATI made 9500pro or try to find a OEM 9700 np from a good site? Is it really worth the extra money? I know you will be able to OC the 9700np more but he also wants a card that will last and not have to mess around with it to get good quality.

Back