• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Issue[ASRock Z77 Extreme4]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Proto

Registered
Hey all, recently put together my system and I'm having issues with 5.1 channel, and I assume all surround, sound on the MoBo. I have the ALC898 driver for the onboard sound, but I'm getting all of my sound through the Center/Sub Channel. The Left/Right, and Rear channels play low static noise and sometimes a slight sound.

Anyone with this board have recommendations?

Also, I'm using, for what's it worth, Creative T6160(3x3.5mm jacks) 5.1 speakers that I used on my old X38 Asus board with an Asus supplied PCI sound card that worked through all channels. S/PDIF works great with my headsets, though.

Yeah. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked my connections. I've even swapped the plugs around to see if there was a short somewhere, but all of the physical connections appear to be ok. I've snooped through drivers, configured speakers in Windows, and looked over the Realtek Audio Manager settings. I may steal that old PCI card and see if I can get them to work through PCI, maybe the onboard jacks are messed up through the MoBo?

Its possible, and that is a good way to test it (remove onboard drivers and disable onboard in the bios before that other card).

I never worked with that board but all boards I have seen, even at that level, has something to disable the onboard audio...It would surprise me a lot if that option wasnt there. Perhaps check the manual and see?

EDIT: Its under advanced, SB config I believe...

Ah, I was looking in the wrong place. So, set Onboard from Auto to Enabled. Disapled front panel(not in use) and disabled Onboard HDMI audio. Still the same issue.

Swapped some of the speaker connections around on the back of the Sub. Still same issue , except only sound from Left speaker. Looks like the card in the Sub may be blown.

I have my old 5.1 Razer Headset that uses the same Jacks, going to hook that up and try to rule out the Onboard as the issue. I seriously bought these speakers 5 months ago so if they're blown I'm going to shoot myself.

Back