• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

av8 crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my experience, needing to reset the BIOS from a failed overclock is usually the result of a bad RAM setting. See if you can lower the DRAM Frequency divider. If the problem is RAM releated that should open up more headroom for overclocking the CPU. I'll have to look at the manual tonight if you can't find the setting in BIOS.

i looked in the bios and couldnt find the dram multiplier unless your talking about the 2:1 and 5:3 settings where it can be changed from 400ddr to 333ddr. the only way i saw that chat that multiplier was when i changed the cpu multiplier from 9 to 8 it changed the dram from 9 to 10. it didnt lower but increased it. i got my v.core up to 1.425 and im thimking of going to 1.500 to see if that helps. i will wait on you first to see what you find. i hope i aint bothering you to much.

i looked in the bios and couldnt find the dram multiplier unless your talking about the 2:1 and 5:3 settings where it can be changed from 400ddr to 333ddr.
That's the RAM divider (really the RAM ratio)! ;) If you're running the CPU at 9X then the multiplier should be '9'. If it changed to '10' when you lowered the CPU multiplier then your BIOS adjusted the RAM down for you. CPU/9 > CPU/10 ...

Last edited:
im lost. when i lowered the cpu multiplier from 9 to 8, why did the bios change the fsb:dram from cpu/9 to cpu/10? is 10 lower than 9 in the memory settings? otherwise i didnt see no way to adjust dram.

You want to change the DDR400 setting to DDR333. With the FSB at 226 the RAM will be running about 192MHz or DDR384.

I'm honestly a little confused with AMD's CPU/9 & CPU/10 stuff too. lol

Anybody not used to working with the A64 is doing themselves a disfavor by continuing to call it the "FSB". It's not a FSB and it doesn't work like one, so it creates confusion. The A64 has a reference clock with a default value of 200 MHz. From that and the CPU & HT Link multipliers you get the CPU and HT Link speeds, respectively. RAM speed is not based off the clock speed - it's based off the CPU speed because the CPU has an Integrated Memory Controller (IMC). While you can use the RAM ratio (1:1 = DDR400, 5:6 = DDR333) to get a rough RAM speed it will not always come out exact. For a 1:1 RAM ratio the RAM divider is the CPU multiplier, leaving you with a RAM speed equal to the clock speed - so that's simple. Once you start using other ratios it will not always come out to the speed you think it will - but the common method will get you close.

Your RAM divider went up because the BIOS was trying to keep your RAM at or below the rated speed. Since you increased the clock speed, which increased the CPU speed, the RAM ratio had to be changed, which made the RAM divider go up. CPU speed/RAM divider = RAM speed.

Again, CPU/9 > CPU/10 just like 9/9 > 9/10.

im lost. when i lowered the cpu multiplier from 9 to 8, why did the bios change the fsb:dram from cpu/9 to cpu/10? is 10 lower than 9 in the memory settings? otherwise i didnt see no way to adjust dram.
You're confusing the RAM ratio and the RAM divider. The RAM ratio is what you set in BIOS - it's the 1:1 (DDR-400), 6:5(DDR-333), 2:1(DDR-200) setting you mentioned earlier. The RAM divider (as shown in CPU-Z Memory tab) is a whole number calculated using the CPU multiplier and the RAM ratio (RAM divider = CPU multiplier x RAM ratio then round up). When you changed the CPU multiplier to '8' the RAM divider would have changed to '8' as well (since your RAM ratio was at 1:1), which would have made your RAM run faster than DDR-400. To keep that from happening your BIOS lowered the RAM ratio, which lowered the RAM speed (RAM divider = 8 x 6/5 = 9.6, then round up to 10) ...

Last edited:
the craziest think just happened. i couldnt get past 228 multiplier all this time without crashing but guess what? after raising v.core to 1.425 and dropping dram setting in bios to 3:2 i finally tried to go past 228 cpu multiplier. i clicked on 229 multiplier and BOOM, my cpu went to 2356.5 and somehow the muutiplier shot all the way to 261!! and in memory when i changed dram from 2/2 to 3/2 my memory went from 227 to 184, then shot back to 214 cpu/11 214mhz after going to 229 mutiplier. why would it go from 228 to261 in just one number? i might get this thing to 2.6, maybe 2.8 afterall. thanks for all the help.

must be a glitch. in bios it says 229mhz but in cpuid it says 261. double checked under system to see how fast im going and the speed is right, just hope whe i try to go higher things dont go back to normal.

im finally up to 2.65 on my core speed. im using a 9x multiplier and bus speed of 295mhzive lowered my htt link fromm 1000 to 600 which gives me 885 ht link. if i use 800 it puts me close to 1100 and you said keep it under 1000. my v.core is 1.425 running at 41c. my only problem now is the highest my memory will go is 189mhz on the 266 2/3 setting. if i go any higher it just wont go past post. i tried using the 2.5 instead of 2.0 cl and upped the ddr volyage to 2.7 but no help. what is my next course of action?

i have ocz platimun 2x512mb. after lowering my multiplier down to 8 i got my memory running at 240mhz. if i want to go higher i think i need better memory if i want higher readings. ive heard of some memory being overclocked to 533mhz but would be happy with 400mhz. any recommedation?

If you're running 331x8 then your CPU really has topped out for your cooling solution. That shows the clock can be pushed higher but your CPU won't follow. Still, 2648 is't bad at all for an OC! :)

Personally I've never had DDR RAM that would run 400 MHz. I've only heard of it running 300-320 MHz or so tops at CAS 3. If you're running 240 MHz at 2-3-2-5 then you're doing real good and I wouldn't mess with it ... ;)

Back