• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronin1967

I recently removed my AX-7 to change motherboards. I notice the bottom of the heatsink has the core information from the processor burned into it. Is this normal? I applied Arctic Silver 3 according to manufactures specs and my temps were never high(nothing above 41C under load=Prime95 12+hours)

I got that too. I was able to get it off with some Nail Polish remover though, so I don't know if it'll cause a problem or not.

same, when i took off my HS it was inscribes into the bottom, it dissapeared when i lapped it tho.

i may make a difference temp wise if you take the HS off and put it back again because the contact may not be as good as possible. lapping makes a lot of difference.

Willem

Copper= SOFT~ clip that attaches the heatsink= apllies HIGH PRESSURE~ do the math :)
When you lap it your REMOVING copper........ hence why it goes away~ dont worrie~ if you chips still alive~ then its A good thing!

Yep, that's normal. Happens on all AMD chips no matter what unless you attempt to lap the core which I strongly advise you NOT to do. The best thing to do is to wait for it to burn those letters into the base of the heatsink and then reapply Arctic Silver again. Now assuming you followed Arctic Silver's instructions, you are told to rub AS into the base of the heatsink so Arctic Silver will fill those microscopic gaps in the heatsink and force them to transfer heat instead of nothing. They will go into the letter and transfer some heat there and perhaps get you a good 1-2 degree loss. Lapping won't do nothing because they will just keep reappearing.

Yodums

Getting that imprint means you had the heatsink on right:)

I do lap my sinks real quick after a remove/re-install so that everything is nice and flat again: 1500 or 2000 grit so that I remove almost nothing: just clean off the imprint.

Back