• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back in business again! AMD build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi fellows overclockers!

Long time not around. Life's been ectic, Gabon, DRC...

Hope everyone is fine.

Back in Europe for a while and planning for a new rig.

TBH, it seems that overclocking is not what it used to be anymore.
RIP the 50% extra clock on my old 2600K or 5820k😂

So, willing to build a multi purpose mid end rig.

VR and 1440p gaming (racing sims, FPS and BG3), HTPC and a bit of prod (little bit).

Will build it in a couple of weeks.

Was thinking of the following components:

Ryzen 7700
Asrock B650M pro Wifi
GSkill ripjaw S5 6000 cas30 2x16GB
Crucial P5 plus 1TB pcie4.0
Lian Li Lancool 215 mid tower
Gigabyte UD750GM 750W 80+ gold fully modular

GPU... Mmmm... 7800XT or 6950XT

What you think?

Thanks lads!

The RX 7800 XT is expected to be about 15% slower than the RX 6950 XT on the TPU Relative Performance chart, but I don't know if the new, unreleased 7800XT will be 15% less money. The new card looks to be about equal to an RX 6800 XT too.

If you go for a 6950XT you might want to consider an 850 watt PSU instead of a 750 Watt.

I would change the list a bit:
- 7800X3D CPU, as it's simply faster in games
- different brand PSU like Corsair, EVGA or anything based on higher Seasonic series, maybe Deepcool PX850G or something similar with a 10-year warranty; for some reason I don't trust Gigabyte PSUs (maybe I'm wrong)
- different SSD, Crucial P5 Plus is fine, but it runs hot and is slower than many competitive SSD nowadays; even new Maxio-based SSD (DRAM-less) are faster, slightly cheaper, and run at much lower temps (Teamgroup MP44, Patriot VP4300 Lite, Predator GM7, and some more)
- if you can get ASUS motherboard at about the same price then it will be a better choice because of better BIOS support, but probably it doesn't matter
- I would get a new graphics card series, just because drivers and various updates will be available for longer; other than that, a post above describes it well

Thank you guys.

Good advice!

Might go with a 7900xt. And will check SSD's and PSU.

CPU, well, will upgrade next year. The 7700 will do for now.

Just for comparison from my last tests; Patriot SSD is the DRAM-less one.
All results are on the same test rig with 7950X+X670E.

Crucial P5 Plus with heatsink (no throttling, but it's expected without additional cooling)

P5Plus2TB_pic5.jpg

ADATA S70 Blade - no throttling, but it's expected under extended high load

ADATA_S70_2TB_res5.jpg

Patriot VP4300 Lite - no throttling at all, temps below 50°C under load

VP4300Lite_2TB_pic2.jpg

Back