• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup Pros, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Mike

Senior Head of Import Performance
Ok so we've recently lost some data here at work. Unfortunately our IT department is about 150 miles away and has pretty much said "sorry we do full daily backups, since this was lost more than a day ago we can't access it anymore". I'm not going to get into how bad that is or on how many levels its bad. I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative to relying on their backup that we can get equipment for and do here in house. We have just over 20 Gigs of what I would consider "mission critical" data. I don't need any offsite storage or anything like that, if the building burns down or someone steals all the PCs we'll have their full backups.

I'm thinking either a DDS-4 tape (native capacity of 20GB should be enough for all the "must haves") incrementally backing up the folders in question, or a large hard disk with full or incremental backups. My big question is what kind of software can I get to utilize the hard disk method and do the backup on a regular schedule without user intervention, given the current price of DDS drives and tapes it looks as cheap or cheaper to just buy a 500 gig SATA and software to use it as a backup, and we can add in other critical folders as necessary, or even extra drives if we need to expand capacity.

Local backup to disc/tape is a fast easy way to handle your problem - but there are some issues you need to adress before you can start.

Does your IT department use the archive bit ? You normally use it for incremental backups unless you spend a lot on backup software. If they do full backups I don't think they use the archive bit - but you need to know. If they clear the archive bit in their backups - you can't use it in your backups.

Before you can start incremental backups you need a full backup.

A NAS box could be a solution for your problem (NAS = Networked Attached Storage)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat107700050006&id=1164155963988

In that one or similar systems you can set the discs up in a raid.

Yeah, I actually am trying a program called Cobian backup at the moment, its freeware and it seems to do everything I want (copy from the server map drive to my local PC once a week and incremental, based on file dates, every day and save the latest 2 full sweeps). A major catastrophe is IT's problem, I just want to make sure our drawings are protected so we don't get hosed in the event of a data loss, because we have to account for the hours that will be wasted recreating/fixing/etc drawings that are missing now.

i would do a small secure system with raid 1 with tape backup with daily or twice daily backups done.

Back