• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad news! My max ADSL speeds are now the same as the old setup in 2010!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Back to 10.4 down and 0.69 up! Since around mid March, 2011.

Made me call my ISP on March 22 and gotten fresh cat5e installed through the basement on March 23. Then still didn't go back up to the 11.5 down and 0.71 up that I had during February, even through a lot of snow on February 25 (right when it looked real good on February 17 and 18, looked like there wasn't gonna be another snow day.) and early March. Then for the heck, had the modem changed (same make and model) and still the same!

I now get the sinking feeling like people got in the early 1970s, when the trend was engines being downgraded!

Does anyone think I was lied to and put back on a crappy DSLAM?

Does any networking guru here think someone stealthly put me back to a bad DSLAM?

The bandwidth drops are suspicious!

I hope this is just a transient thing. But, it's not the downstream yo-yo'ing to 8 Mb, 2 Mb and etc. crap.
So, NOT as bad as fall, 2010 and pre-February 8, 2011.

Last edited:
How are you testing your speed? speetest.net is ok, but in order for you to get a clear picture you would want to run the test like 3-5 times from different servers.. pingtest.net will focus on your latency..

Another good test would be to run tracert.exe from the command window

run it to several large servers and see if there are any signs of slow down along the way..

example: tracert www.google.com

gets me:

Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.226.80]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 74.216.201.49
2 13 ms 5 ms 2 ms 216.13.130.13
3 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms ge2-0-1.gw1-tor.bb.allstream.net [199.212.161.126]
4 5 ms 9 ms 6 ms 72.14.217.69
5 7 ms 5 ms 5 ms 216.239.47.114
6 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms 64.233.175.98
7 5 ms 9 ms 8 ms 74.125.226.80

Trace complete.

Niiiiice! Well at least the ISP sees the issue and that should help you :)

Niiiiice! Well at least the ISP sees the issue and that should help you :)

Nope, they refuse to help me anymore until FTTH comes!

And one of the folks made a statement that's not quite correct:
Saying that it will always slow down or it would be unstable!

I know what the line can do, it can do 11 Mb down. I wasn't trying to force it to 15 Mb, lol.

They were doing super during February 8 and the rest of February, including the last real snow day, on February 25.
VTel had a power play from February 8 to sometime around March 15.

VTel has just fumbled! :screwy:

Last edited:
Back to 10.4 down and 0.69 up! Since around mid March, 2011.

Made me call my ISP on March 22 and gotten fresh cat5e installed through the basement on March 23. Then still didn't go back up to the 11.5 down and 0.71 up that I had during February, even through a lot of snow on February 25 (right when it looked real good on February 17 and 18, looked like there wasn't gonna be another snow day.) and early March. Then for the heck, had the modem changed (same make and model) and still the same!

I now get the sinking feeling like people got in the early 1970s, when the trend was engines being downgraded!

Does anyone think I was lied to and put back on a crappy DSLAM?

Does any networking guru here think someone stealthly put me back to a bad DSLAM?

The bandwidth drops are suspicious!

I hope this is just a transient thing. But, it's not the downstream yo-yo'ing to 8 Mb, 2 Mb and etc. crap.
So, NOT as bad as fall, 2010 and pre-February 8, 2011.

I think it's your Vcore :D sorry I had to. Ok I'll let that one die now!!!!

Honestly I would do what the person below your OP is saying.

Test multiple times on various servers at various times of the day.

pingtest various places

I did this for 2 weeks straight after RR was boning me. I had Screenshots, video, etc.... I made that tier 3 guy watch and look at all of them too!!!!!

They came out and dropped a rj11 from the box to the house, I brought it straight up and to the back of the wall....

What service are you paying for? What do they tell you is an acceptable drop in performance? RR tells us that if we are within 5mb of our advertised speed then we are good.

WITHIN 5 MBIT!!! IS GOOD!!!

THATS WAY beyond acceptable IMO.

if was paying for 15/5 like i am... and wasnt getting at least 14/4.5 ... i would have an issue.

if was paying for 15/5 like i am... and wasnt getting at least 14/4.5 ... i would have an issue.

QFT. I would die at less than 10 Mbit!

I think a little voice was telling me web pages were coming up slower and to check, then guess what,
I caught it with its pants down! And I gotten exactly what I dreaded!
I feel suspicious, because I feel like someone at the ISP may have stealthly did it on purpose and hoped I wouldn't notice, because some short sighted moron thinks that my speed increase is illegal!
(It's not even cable) (You can't uncap a DSL modem, lol.)

Last edited:
Back