• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballin on a budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forcedinduktion

Registered
Hello, new to the forum. I intent to catch up on my reading, as I have been out of the computer game for a little bit now. Ive decided to go with a new build now. I was planning on spending $1k, but now im at $1300ish. The computer will be used mainly for gaming, homework, casual PS, and typical usage.

CPU: $320 Intel i5 2600-K
MB: $180 Asus P67P8 Deluxe
RAM: $100 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: $360 Ati 6970 2GB
HDD: $70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical:$18 - Samsung SH-S223L SATA DVD Burner
PSU: $110 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
Case: $110 - Cooler Master HAF 922

Im told that the i5 2600k is labeled as a i7 for some reason, but its really an i5. Also should i spend the extra money and just get the HDD that is 6GB/s since the P67 mobo can handle that much? Im open to any recommendations. Let me know what you think.

For your usage, skip the i7 2600K and get an i5 2500K. Same CPU without Hyper Threading, which you don't need nor will you make use of it unless you do heavy encoding or run Folding@Home or similar. The 2600K is correctly labeled as an i7 as it has 4 cores and HT.

You can also skip the 6970 and get a 6950 2GB (has to be a reference card) and unlock the shaders to turn the card into a 6970.

For your usage, skip the i7 2600K and get an i5 2500K. Same CPU without Hyper Threading, which you don't need nor will you make use of it unless you do heavy encoding or run Folding@Home or similar. The 2600K is correctly labeled as an i7 as it has 4 cores and HT.

You can also skip the 6970 and get a 6950 2GB (has to be a reference card) and unlock the shaders to turn the card into a 6970.
Sorry dont understand what you mean by a reference card and not sure what shaders are. Someone else recommended a 6870 1GB, saying that a 6970 is way over kill for the size monitor I am choosing. Confused which one i should get now...

what timings does that ram have?

personally i would recommend this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=4gb_g.skill_pi-_-20-231-351-_-Product

it is 9-9-9-24

Also about the SSD, Im looking at a HDD that is at least 1TB. I have a 750GB on my other build and that one only has 8GBs left. Which brings up another point....should i get 2HDD? One for the partition and then another for all my documents? The other desktop that I have has everything on one.

I'd suggest something, but everyone else has already basically said what I would've. Go the 2500K not the 2600K. Also are you going to use an aftermarket cooler?

Also go the SSD 60GB for your boot drive, and 1TB+ for your storage drive for sure.

As reference to the Graphics card, the HD6950 has high success rates in flashing the bios on the card to a HD6970. (somewhat unlocking the card from the xx50 to the xx70 model). He means reference design as in stock design. Some manufacturers change the design of the card by either physically modifying the card and some mounting holes, or adding their own BIOS (I think), or both! If it's got a fancy name with 'overclocked edition blah blah' there's a good chance it's not a reference card.. Though I could be wrong :\

EDIT: As for the RAM, also advise you go with the 4GB set instead of the 8GB set. The timings are far tighter. Also for gaming, casual work and what not, 4GB of RAM is more than enough. You DO NOT need 8GB unless you suddenly decide to start running 5 adobe programs at once >.>

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I would ever have all the Adobe programs open at once. But I usually have a browser open, itunes, bittorrent. On a usual basis don't exceed that many programs open at 1 time. But that would probably change when I get a 2nd monitor and am able to look at more things without minimizing programs.

no, there wont be. Not for gaming and general use between 4GB and 8GB. (Go the 4GB). Not 6GB, 4GB or 8GB, 6gb won't run in Dual Channel, and you can't tri-channel on a 1155 platform.

What you guys call real world performance difference and what I call real world performance difference differs.

2000Mhz Cas 7 is going to buy you like 1, maybe even 2FPS over 1600Mhz cas 7 which will buy you maybe 1/2 FPS over 1600 cas 9.

It's like saying because a 5870 at 8x vs 16x loses one or two frames per second max that's not a real world difference. It's a difference. :)

I guess so noob. LMK, outside of benchmarking, when you can NOTICE 1-2 FPS or, in reference to another thread, 2-3C when you arent benchmarking. Meanwhile, I will save my precious money and just as happy with negligibly higher temps and 1-2 FPS less.

Remember, this thread is called 'ballin on a BUDGET'. That doesnt mean eek out 1-2 degrees/fps over more money.

I guess so noob. LMK, outside of benchmarking, when you can NOTICE 1-2 FPS or, in reference to another thread, 2-3C when you arent benchmarking. Meanwhile, I will save my precious money and just as happy with negligibly higher temps and 1-2 FPS less.

Remember, this thread is called 'ballin on a BUDGET'. That doesnt mean eek out 1-2 degrees/fps over more money.

This^^^^

Back