• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bang for buck CUDA? advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FYI, the board does not have to support SLI to have multiple crunchers. I have 2 8800GTs in a P45 board :D

I think I'd say go with a pair of GTX260s. That will also give you great gaming performance for when your not crunching. But another GX2 wouldn't be bad either if you can do a straight up swap.

Well I pulled the trigger on 2 EVGA GTX260 216's today:) Plus I traded one of my 4850's for a 9800GTX+ to replace the 8600GT in my P4 rig. Now I've just got to figure out where to put all these video cards.
I think I'm going to try the 260's and the 9800GX2 in my main cruncher, and then put the 9800GTX+ in the P4... or maybe I should switch the 9800GX2 and the 9800GTX+. either way I'm going to have an extra 8600GT, hmmmmm.

Time to look through the Classifieds and find a cheap PCIe system - preferably dual or better PCIe ... :)

That's what I'm doing right now :)

I'm also trying to find Torin's dummy plugs for sale, but can't seem to locate them anywhere.

That's what I'm doing right now :)

I'm also trying to find Torin's dummy plugs for sale, but can't seem to locate them anywhere.

You could always PM him.

On a side note: I do not have any video cards any any of my systems (expect for a mobile 4850 in my laptop). I am interested in maybe picking one up, but I don't know what my desktop system can currently handle.

It only has a 300 watt antec powersupply that is like 5 years old? The motherboard is an ASRock AliveNF6P-VSTA paired with a 45W X2 processor. Any suggestions? The whole unit only cost $150 bucks to setup.

Last edited:
You could always PM him.

On a side note: I do not have any video cards any any of my systems (expect for a mobile 4850 in my laptop). I am interested in maybe picking one up, but I don't know what my desktop system can currently handle.

It only has a 300 watt antec powersupply that is like 5 years old? The motherboard is an ASRock AliveNF6P-VSTA paired with a 45W X2 processor. Any suggestions? The whole unit only cost $150 bucks to setup.

Evidently the post was too old, so it wasn't shown :shrug:, but I got ahold of him.

Your PSU probably doesn't have any PCI-e connectors, but you could use a molex converter. Depending on the rest of your components, I would think you could handle a single 9 series GPU or slower.
Here's a PSU calculator that I use... it's pretty accurate with alot of options
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

So I received and installed my 2 EVGA GTX260's. I bought the cheapest 216 55nm versions with the 576 core speed. Low and behold, last night I'm running EVGA Precision, and I notice that the cards are running overclocked (625 core). So I reset to factory defaults (thinking it kept my settings from the 9800GX2) and they WERE running at the factory defaults. Hopped on Newegg, and sure enough, they're running the exact speed as the more expensive Superclocked Editions. So I checked the boxes, but they're label as the base model. Newegg says, "We shipped according to the boxes, so they're yours". So EVGA packaged me up a nice little bonus :beer: I'm liking that company more and more, by the second. These things are FLYING compared to the 9800GX2 (which I was impressed with... at first) We'll see where my RAC on that machine goes. The 9800GX2 only netted me around 2500 increase (it seemed close to topping out) I think that has alot to do with it slowing down my CPU so much, the AP units weren't finishing as fast. I'm hoping the 260's land me in the 12k-13k RAC range for that rig.

Last edited:
Back