• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefront 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Anyone else playing this? Coworker was hyping it up, so I gave it a shot last night. Seems like a Star Wars themed copy of Battlefield, but it's still pretty fun. I was less than thrilled that I had to download the Origin client, which immediately opened its own browser window complete with spam popups, but what can you do I guess.

My question for anyone playing on PC, when the match ends and it is showing the stats does it get real buggy? I also had it hit 97% memory work load on WHInfo when it gets buggy. Issue with my system? Or a setting? Or just a typical Beta problem?

Anyone that is interested in trying it, the Beta is still open until 11am on 10/11 so you can still get in on it today. It's far from complete, but it still has quite a bit of content to play around with.

You can't be surprised that it made you download/install Origin... it's an EA game.. That said, I've never had it show 'spam popups'. Can you describe these popups/spam?

They've made a lot of improvements since the other Battlefront game, but I'm not a fan of their microtransaction-based unlock system. If I ever buy it I won't be paying $60 for it.

(That and I don't have nearly enough time to invest in a competitive shooter)

You can't be surprised that it made you download/install Origin... it's an EA game.. That said, I've never had it show 'spam popups'. Can you describe these popups/spam?
Since it's still in open Beta until tomorrow, I'll grab a screen grab of it tonight. It's one of the typical popups you see on "less than secure" sites, but it opens from Origin. Hard to explain I guess, but I'll screen grab it tonight.

They've made a lot of improvements since the other Battlefront game, but I'm not a fan of their microtransaction-based unlock system. If I ever buy it I won't be paying $60 for it.

(That and I don't have nearly enough time to invest in a competitive shooter)

I'm not a fan of the pay-to-win model either, and it seems like it's a pretty big complaint right now. Lots of people are complaining about the microtransactions for the game, seeing as they provide actual performance enhancing items and not just cosmetic upgrades. Time will tell how the actual game plays out, and while the game was pretty fun I can say I will not be jumping in on it right away either.

Oh I get you with the stupid screen pops on Origin. More annoying fact is that it fails to keep me logged in so that's a real nice pain to do constantly when loading. Origin was fine but some update over the summer messed it up for me. Thankfully I tried it on my console... skipped the Origin issue on the PC :)

As for the game, played a little space combat and a little assault vs the AI. Seems enjoyable. The loot system in confused about but all I cared about at first was jumping in and playing. Was really curious about space combat so went right for that. It seemed better than the first when playing it though. Seems a little more refined and the combat at least on the space one had more mission points to do then previous ones that I played (note it was the original game, not with all the DLC). I'm looking forward to it but, I'm going to ask it for Christmas.

That said, I've never had it show 'spam popups'. Can you describe these popups/spam?

I installed Origin direct from the website, so I know I have a legitimate Origin download. And I just downloaded last night and I have gotten them from the first time I opened it. It's in Origin itself, but it's similar to a browser (or is Origin its own browser?)
It's' just kinda annoying that it happens pretty much any time I click on something and then I have to close out of Origin and re-open it just to get anywhere.

This is the one I got just now, it's a different type of ad every time though and it's all contained in the Origin app (closing Origin closes the ad).
Untitled.jpg

Weird. I haven't seen that at all. I just installed the game today to try it out. Had to update origin and stuff. No sign of that at all

I have had the Origin client installed for a couple years now and I never once had a pop up or browser window open because of it ? Also it isn’t supposed to act like a browser, sounds more like a virus or malware.

I installed Origin direct from the website, so I know I have a legitimate Origin download. And I just downloaded last night and I have gotten them from the first time I opened it. It's in Origin itself, but it's similar to a browser (or is Origin its own browser?)
It's' just kinda annoying that it happens pretty much any time I click on something and then I have to close out of Origin and re-open it just to get anywhere.

This is the one I got just now, it's a different type of ad every time though and it's all contained in the Origin app (closing Origin closes the ad).
View attachment 193923

That looks more like a Facebook popup. Are you logging into Origin using your Facebook account? If so, setup a login straight through Origin to get rid of that junk. Just for reference my Origin looks nothing like that and has no reference to Facebook.

I have had the Origin client installed for a couple years now and I never once had a pop up or browser window open because of it ? Also it isn’t supposed to act like a browser, sounds more like a virus or malware.
Same here. It has the game/store search tool inside it but that's it. I wouldn't consider any part a browser which leads me to think it has something to do with that Facebook reference in his screenshot or worse malware like you are saying.

That looks more like a Facebook popup. Are you logging into Origin using your Facebook account? If so, setup a login straight through Origin to get rid of that junk. Just for reference my Origin looks nothing like that and has no reference to Facebook.

Same here. It has the game/store search tool inside it but that's it. I wouldn't consider any part a browser which leads me to think it has something to do with that Facebook reference in his screenshot or worse malware like you are saying.

That is not an actual Facebook page, just a popup designed to look like it. I do not have a Facebook account. The popup changes what it looks like every time. It only happens on the first launch of Origin, once you close it out it doesn't come back until the next restart of Origin. Since this is a fresh wipe/install of Windows, and the only things installed on the PC are updates, drivers, my photo/video editing software, and Origin, and I never saw anything like this before installing Origin, it would lead me to believe it is specific to Origin. Either way, the Battlefront 2 beta is over and I uninstalled both the Battlefront 2 Beta and Origin since I have no use for either any longer. Problem solved.

Looks like it isn't unheard of:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/how-to-stop-pop-ads-when-logging-into-origin/td-p/5248626

The people that fixed it said they had to restore/edit their HOSTS file. Out of curiosity, can you check yours to see if any changes had been made? And you're sure you got the installer from the officiai site and not possibly from a third party that could have bundled some malware into it?

I realize you said you've now uninstalled both, but I'm more curious as to what effect(s) were done to have that happen.

Wow that's crazy. Never seen that. Are you sure you downloaded it from the Origin servers not some Google add that might be a modified version. I've installed it a bunch of times on multiple computers and never got that.

Back