• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bclk? QPI? UnCore? i7 OC guide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Half the reason I don't want to take the plunge into i7 is how it's different from current LGA775. Is there a guide somewhere like the sticky we have for OCing Core 2s? Just explaining what everything is? Would be great. Sorry about the undescriptive post, typing this before shooting back to work to hope for a good read by the time I get home.

Here's what I am planning on doing with mine when I build it in the next couple of days.

Step 1: I am going to drop all multipliers and test the boards max BCLK. Then I will test the systems max memory, QPI, PLL, core, and Uncore clocks at stock voltage. They I will measure the effects of adding voltage to each (temp, stability, additional oc headroom). Then I will back everything off about 20% and find the minimum stable voltage for each. Then I will back off another 20% and take another reading.

Eventually, I will end up with several graphs that will show voltage vs frequency and voltage vs temperature. I will then use the graphs to find the optimal overclock and voltages. I will then take the derivatives of the graphs and interpolate a mean coefficient Harmonic frequency using my bat computer.

Step 2: after all that I will spend 3 days scratching my head at why it's not stable. Then suddenly I will get phone call by a mysterious fellow telling me that he's captured the mayor's daughter and she's slowly descending into a pit of acid. I will then use my Pentium 90 and GPS modded TI 83 calculator to triangulate the origin of the call within the city but due to a rounding error I ended up at a Taco Bell instead of the fellow's hideout. Taking advantage of a disadvantageous situation... I order a crunchwrap.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: OMG 8GHZ OC ON AIR!!!!!!!!

That's the plan anyways.... :D

PS: the 1st paragraph is true, and I might also make some graphs also but unfortunately I don't have a bat computer so I can't interpolate a mean coefficient Harmonic frequency... perhaps the i7 could do it for me, but could I trust the results at 8ghz????

Last edited:
Here's what I am planning on doing with mine when I build it in the next couple of days.

Step 1: I am going to drop all multipliers and test the boards max BCLK. Then I will test the systems max memory, QPI, PLL, core, and Uncore clocks at stock voltage. They I will measure the effects of adding voltage to each (temp, stability, additional oc headroom). Then I will back everything off about 20% and find the minimum stable voltage for each. Then I will back off another 20% and take another reading.

Eventually, I will end up with several graphs that will show voltage vs frequency and voltage vs temperature. I will then use the graphs to find the optimal overclock and voltages. I will then take the derivatives of the graphs and interpolate a mean coefficient Harmonic frequency using my bat computer.

Step 2: after all that I will spend 3 days scratching my head at why it's not stable. Then suddenly I will get phone call by a mysterious fellow telling me that he's captured the mayor's daughter and she's slowly descending into a pit of acid. I will then use my Pentium 90 and GPS modded TI 83 calculator to triangulate the origin of the call within the city but due to a rounding error I ended up at a Taco Bell instead of the fellow's hideout. Taking advantage of a disadvantageous situation... I order a crunchwrap.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: OMG 8GHZ OC ON AIR!!!!!!!!

That's the plan anyways.... :D

PS: the 1st paragraph is true, and I might also make some graphs also but unfortunately I don't have a bat computer so I can't interpolate a mean coefficient Harmonic frequency... perhaps the i7 could do it for me, but could I trust the results at 8ghz????

Freakin' sweet!

I've got my TI-89 right here. Do you think that GPS mod is compatible w/ this model?

:beer:

Yes, however the Pentium 120mhz TI 89 model does not have the rounding bug therefore you will never realize there's a Taco Bell less than 2 blocks from your house and thus you will never make it to 8ghz.

Thanks for the link Redduc, that's exactly what I was looking for. Pretty much, although there is alot of new fancy mumbo jumbo, and new stuff going on in the background, the principal still remains the same.

There's a frequency measured in mhz that's multiplied to give the speed. Up that frequency, and you get 8ghz on air. Thanks =)

Yup, just remember to take small steps in frequency and voltage and you'll be fine. Use the dividers to find the max speed of each of the different clocks by themselves. Then when you OC everything at once, you know the limitations of each component. You will also have a good idea of how the different voltages effects on temps and stability. Since most of the Northbridge features are now on the chip, you will notice that the different voltages and frequencies to a degree affect each other. For example, say the CPU is maxed out as fast as it will go, 20 more mhz and it will not be stable. Now say you increase the mem voltage, this will ultimately lead to slightly higher temps for the entire chip and perhaps make the cpu no longer stable. Although this is a bad example as only those that are looking for a super high screenshot would be running 20mhz from bluescreen I hope at lease someone understands what I mean.

Last edited:
Back