• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Last time around we took a look at be quiet!'s top-down heatsink, the Shadow Rock TopFlow, which performed well, but had a few clearance issues. The Dark Rock Pro 2 is the next heatsink to go through testing. This heatsink uses the large dual-tower design that has become popular as of late for its performance. So, let's dig in and see what else be quiet! has to bring to the US market!
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think they would have learned after the frst one.
Contact with the GPU is totally unacceptable, especially on the second attempt.

Well, both be quiet! heatsinks were sent together, so there wasn't any time for them to fix anything between the two reviews. The fan clip issue has been relayed to be quiet!

It should be an easy fix in my opinion. They could change the bend angle on the fan clip and/or cover the part that sticks out in a rubber coating. Neither of those options are a major design change.

It's an easy fix for the everyday consumer as well, they could wrap the clips in a few layers of electrical tape or even bend the fan clips down themselves with some pliers. Of course, the consumer shouldn't have to do this, but at least there are easy ways around it.

The Phanteks PCDCEC14KDHGUW unit completely obliterates the very top slot (note: most motherboards have a 1x slot at the top not a 16x). The TRUE is close enough to touch the clips to the GPU if the very top slot is used as well. This is a far from uncommon problem.

be quiet!'s coolers are the only heatsinks I've had that have this issue. None of the others in the review, my Venomous X, or old HDT-s1283 had this clearance issue. Whether more coolers have this issue or not, it should still be addressed, in my opinion, especially since it shouldn't take much to fix it.

It's good to know it's not just be quiet! though. Sounds like Phanteks needs to fix the issue or take it into account in the future as well, but the TRUE is a little old for that :D

The main issue I expect is that mobo manufacturers started putting GPUs in that top slot. They spent many many years just using PCIe 1x slots there and then recently changed their minds for 4way CFX/SLI type stuff.

Phenteks got semi-blasted for it in my review :D

Yeah, all but one of my LGA775 boards had a PCIe x1 in the top slot. My LGA1366 had a x16 in the top. My P67 had a x1. Both of my mATX boards use x16 in the top.

It seems like the issue effects all mATX/ITX users and some ATX users.

Part of the problem with your "everyday consumer" is they expect everything to work out of the box and may not notice this type of problem until they see the smoke.

Nice find Techjesse! Haven't seen that before, and it's exactly what I was suggesting as a quick fix.

I was going to get a D14 sent to me from a member, but it didn't work out. I would have definitely noticed that and documented it as well.

The storm of reviews from another one of these companies I've never heard of is fascinating.

Woo for more startups! God knows there needs to be more innovations, the big block of metal with fans attached to it really needs a rethought =P

I have just received this beast. I am impressed. It does a bang up job over my old 212. Im seeing as much as 10c diff under load. Good solid performer. Installation was a bit of a challenge but I expected that from such a physically large heat sink. I know some have talked about the clearance. I had no issues as far as clearance. Neither with the RAM (G.Skill Rip Jaws)or video card on an Asus Z68. I am using a Rosewill case. When covered the top of this beast touches the side cover. Overall its a handsome monster and a solid performer. But yous already know that from Matt's review.

THX Matt

Z

PS: very quiet too but yeah, you all know this lolZ

Glad to hear it's working well for you. I guess clearance issues are mainly a concern for those with smaller motherboards.

Indeed, though it is still a big hsf to say the least hehehe.

Z

Back