• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner Ryzen 5 2600 OC- how'd I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narf

Hi all,

new to the forum and overclocking. I've been working on this for over a week between research and stress testing. Here are my final results. How did I do, and is there anything else you would recommend?

thanks, narf

3bdWLXm

P79CK52

IoTFC1T

mceEqRP

x2RvFE3

gXm5ANx

VJgdIac

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

https://imgur.com/gXm5ANx
https://imgur.com/VJgdIac

Very nice!!!!
I just upgraded my pc to an AMD RYZEN 5 2600 on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB with 16 GBs of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 Ram. I replaced the stock AMD cpu cooler with an Arctic 33 esports edition cooler. I played around for a few days and topped out at a 4.1 GHz max stable OC. I ended up settling on running a 4 GHz OC with the Ryzen balanced power plan. This setup runs all 6 cores at 4 GHz under load but adjusts all the cores down as low as 1.6 GHz at idle. My CPU temps idle at between 29 and 30C and max out around 54C while gaming.

Looks pretty good, what are you stress testing it with?

Very nice!!!!
I just upgraded my pc to an AMD RYZEN 5 2600 on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB with 16 GBs of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 Ram. I replaced the stock AMD cpu cooler with an Arctic 33 esports edition cooler. I played around for a few days and topped out at a 4.1 GHz max stable OC. I ended up settling on running a 4 GHz OC with the Ryzen balanced power plan. This setup runs all 6 cores at 4 GHz under load but adjusts all the cores down as low as 1.6 GHz at idle. My CPU temps idle at between 29 and 30C and max out around 54C while gaming.

nice! I thought i had windows set to ryzen balanced power plan but mine does not downclock when idle. is there a setting to do this?

I did 12 hours prime95 small ffts with avx, 24 hours small ffts with sse, 12 hours custom to test RAM. All of this had a max temp of 68. The images I shared are from 30 minutes stress testing with prime 95 small ffts while msi kombuster furmark is running. I was able to run cinebench with 4.2 ghz at 1.35 a few times but froze prime 95 and had to work my way down. is there any other voltages i should adjust or lock in from auto?

Nice OC. I got my 2600x up to 4150mhz the other day at about 1.35 vcore. Not sure if it was fully stable, but could run prime95 for 5 mins. Couldn't get over 4200 at 1.4 volts though so I decided to quit and stick with PBO.

It looks like your having a lot of vdroop (difference between set vcore and load voltage). This isn't a bad thing because vdroop protects your CPU from voltage spikes that occur when the CPU is going into and out of load. They happen too fast for software monitors to record. If you have trouble you could adjust the load line calibration to 4 or 3. This will decrease the vdroop, increasing the voltage at load without increasing vcore, however it will also increase the voltage of the spikes mentioned previously. "actually hardcore overclocking" has a good video explaining on the tube.

Only thing I'm a little confused by is how much power you're drawing to the package, I don't think mine went over 115w, but maybe that's just differences in reporting.

Nice OC. I got my 2600x up to 4150mhz the other day at about 1.35 vcore. Not sure if it was fully stable, but could run prime95 for 5 mins. Couldn't get over 4200 at 1.4 volts though so I decided to quit and stick with PBO.

It looks like your having a lot of vdroop (difference between set vcore and load voltage). This isn't a bad thing because vdroop protects your CPU from voltage spikes that occur when the CPU is going into and out of load. They happen too fast for software monitors to record. If you have trouble you could adjust the load line calibration to 4 or 3. This will decrease the vdroop, increasing the voltage at load without increasing vcore, however it will also increase the voltage of the spikes mentioned previously. "actually hardcore overclocking" has a good video explaining on the tube.

Only thing I'm a little confused by is how much power you're drawing to the package, I don't think mine went over 115w, but maybe that's just differences in reporting.

That's a good question about the power. Could it be a product of what I had running at the time of the screenshots? i was running prime 95 and msi kombustor at the same time.

As for vdroop, i will probably change it back to 4. i had it there and saw a 1.36 max on hwinfo after stress testing, but i think that was just a spike like you said.

With regards to core voltage...throughout my overclocking process, i never really idled or loaded at my programmed voltage. for instance, i am set at 1.35v now but idle at 1.3413 and load around 1.32. is this typical or could there be some discrepancies between cpu and sensors?

Hello,

i just read over your link for "overclock your ryzen cpu". According to it, my VTT should be half of my DIMM. i have DIMM set to 1.35V, but HWINFO is showing my VTT at 1.824V. I don't see a setting for this on my B450 msi tomahawk MB. is this something to be concerned about and/or do you know where this can be modified?

narf if you're stable at those settings don't worry about it. I needed to drink a bit more coffee before posting I think, I wasn't too clear about that. I only meant that if you found that you needed a little more voltage you could go that route rather than increasing the vcore setting. You're correct the software monitors are not 100% accurate, and the spikes I was referring to are actually not even recorded by the HWINFO max. There could definitely be some discrepancies, but I think those voltages are pretty good! If you can run stable at load of 1.32 then enjoy! Once these processors "hit the wall" so to speak, doesn't seem like voltage helps much. That is what I've read and certainly my own experience toying with manual OC supports that. I didn't gain more than 25mhz going from 1.3v to 1.4v.

I may just need to look at my wattage again, or it could just be simply that different boards report the package wattage differently.

Hello,

i just read over your link for "overclock your ryzen cpu". According to it, my VTT should be half of my DIMM. i have DIMM set to 1.35V, but HWINFO is showing my VTT at 1.824V. I don't see a setting for this on my B450 msi tomahawk MB. is this something to be concerned about and/or do you know where this can be modified?

The voltage I was referring to likely isn't available on your motherboard or may be named differently. On the CHVI it's in the Tweakers Paradise section which has a slew of voltage selections that typically are hidden on most boardsIf you're have trouble with RAM which is what that setting is for I would suggest starting another thread of your own so this one doesn't get knocked off topic

The voltage I was referring to likely isn't available on your motherboard or may be named differently. On the CHVI it's in the Tweakers Paradise section which has a slew of voltage selections that typically are hidden on most boardsIf you're have trouble with RAM which is what that setting is for I would suggest starting another thread of your own so this one doesn't get knocked off topic

Hello,

thanks for the info. This is my thread. i am not having trouble with my Ram, but As you can see in my HWINFO images of the opening post, the VTT is 1.824V. i don't believe have the option on my b450 msi mb. is this something to be concerned about? i can start a new post if you wish, but i believe this is related to my OC.

thanks, narf

I doubt that's the same voltage and no I wouldn't worry about it. In the future could you host the images here, the problem with hosting sites is eventually the pics disappear. You can use the third icon over from the right in the reply box to upload pics.

I doubt that's the same voltage and no I wouldn't worry about it. In the future could you host the images here, the problem with hosting sites is eventually the pics disappear. You can use the third icon over from the right in the reply box to upload pics.

I'm running xmp profile 2 currently. Is there much performance to be gained by overclocking my RAM above this? I read somewhere corsair and ryzen don't play very well together. any truth to this?
3bdWLXm

3bdWLXm.png

Getting along depends on the sticks, there's some CL15-17 kits that just seem to be a nightmare for people to get running properly. To me it looks like you have a really nice OC going and if it's stable I would save that profile in BIOS before tuning it anymore. You could try tightening the timings a bit or bump the speed up but you probably won't go too much higher 3400ish is a typical ceiling for Ryzen

nice! I thought i had windows set to ryzen balanced power plan but mine does not downclock when idle. is there a setting to do this?

I did 12 hours prime95 small ffts with avx, 24 hours small ffts with sse, 12 hours custom to test RAM. All of this had a max temp of 68. The images I shared are from 30 minutes stress testing with prime 95 small ffts while msi kombuster furmark is running. I was able to run cinebench with 4.2 ghz at 1.35 a few times but froze prime 95 and had to work my way down. is there any other voltages i should adjust or lock in from auto?
I played around with manual OCing via BIOS settings first. Going that route I maxed out at 4.25 GHz and like you my CPU didn't downclock. Then I tried the Asus DIP5 utility to OC, using the YouTube video posted by Asus as a guide. DIP5 maxed out at 4.1 GHz but allowed my CPU to downclock. Since I wanted a balance between maximum performance and longevity, I settled on a DIP5 4 GHz OC.

PS
I do use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
Make sure you go into the advanced settings under this power plan and set minimum processor state to 20% or so.

Last edited:
Back