• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent Pins Phenom 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeknoBug

These posts were moved from another discussion into this topic, so that both topics would receive ample attention - IMOG

Speaking of killing the 955, I pulled out my 955 yesterday and it has about a dozen or so bent pins, no idea how that happened but I store it in its original plastic case with the foam under it. Anyways I'm not sure what the best way to straighten the pins out, I tried straightening a few out already, I think a wood popsicle stick would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of killing the 955, I pulled out my 955 yesterday and it has about a dozen or so bent pins, no idea how that happened but I store it in its original plastic case with the foam under it. Anyways I'm not sure what the best way to straighten the pins out, I tried straightening a few out already, I think a wood popsicle stick would work?

I use a drivers license, credit card, or a utility knife to bend them back straight. A mechanical pencil may be of use as well - the pin may fit in the head of the pencil allowing you to bend it back straight. What you use matters less than being very careful about bending them straight. Once bent they get brittle, and if broken off that is no good.

how did the pins get bent? the only pins i have had to straighten were damaged when the tim stuck and ripped the cpu out of the socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he's not sure how they were bent - it was in storage somewhere and when he took it out some pins got smooshed.

He can pull off a little trick in case he breaks a pin...put the broken pin inside the correct contact pad in the mobo's socket.
Hopefully he can straighten them properly.

Yeah it was in the plastic case when I took it out, it probably got squished by something when I was moving last year. I'm going to give it a shot next week.

I used one of these when the pins on my 555BE and my 955BE got bent...

57445-1101-2-2ww-m.jpg

You find the bent pin, insert the very tip of the knife into the row or column where that bent pin resides... gently push the knife towards the bent pin and once it catches it.. just tilt the knife to the side where you want the pin to go.

Yup, good advice Seebs, though I do that with a utility knife. The key is to bend very gently as if you are doing it right, it does not take much force to straighten it - you don't want to over correct either.

LOL - look at similar threads below, lots of bent pin problems so don't feel bad. :)

I have used a mechanical pencil with great success on a few socket 939 chips.

Back