• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Best" 2.1 Speaker System (under ~$150)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RawrNate

Hello, Overclocker's Forum!

I've been the owner of a Harman/Kardon Sounsticks II speaker system for a few years and it seems that one of the transistors for the left (red) plug is starting to blow (I have to amplify one of the speakers up to level them out, but this creates distortion). With that, I'm in the market for some new speakers!

I automatically looked directly for the new Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III, the newest model, but that's around $150 depending on where you buy it, which is a bit pricey for me. Then again, Christmas is around the corner and I can ask for a bit of money to put towards a speaker system as my gift from my parents.

Anyway, are there any other 2.1 speaker systems under $150 that are going to beat my Soundsticks? I use my speakers for music and a lot of bass, gaming is done with my Logitech G930 headset. So yes, something with tons of bass is required.

I've looked around already and found some nice speakers, but reviews are all over the place on what to get and I can't really go to a store to experience the speakers in person and the only brands I know that have top-notch audio quality is Bose (way out of my budget). But here's what I've found:

Bose Companion 2 (a 2.0 system), $90
Harman/Kardon Sounsticks III, $155
Altec Lansing FX3021, $80
Altec Lansing VS4621 Octane 7, $70
Logitech Z623, $115
Logitech Z523, $90
Creative Inspire S2 Bluetooth Wireless, $90

What would you guys recommend? Remember: music, bass, quality, clear sounds. Thank you so much! I need help with this...

Last edited:
I think the solution to this is still Klipsch Promedia 2.1 They have been around fore a while now, and most people still rate them at the top for 2.1 systems.

That's what I've been hearing about. I'd go with them in a heartbeat except for the fact that the style is so off-putting to me. They look so... boring and bland compared to my Soundsticks or any other speakers I've looked at...

I'm just too picky.

The Logitech Z623 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are neck and neck, as far as sound quality goes. However, the Z623 is about $30 cheaper, which is why I'm rocking it right now. Fantastic speakers for the price (this coming from a guy who has $400 headphones...I'm pretty picky about my music. My "cheap" headphones I use when I'm working out are $100 :) ), I'd highly recommend them.

Second those Klipsches. I have em (the wired ones). They max at ~100 db(A) according to my iPhone's app, and sometimes it struggles with large amounts of bass on certain songs (like Tyga - Faded)

Other than that, its perfect and much better and cheaper than either my crap Altec Lansings or overpriced Bose garbage.

So what you want is the best looking speakers?

Haha, no, just something that looks nice but performs outstanding.

The Logitech Z623 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are neck and neck, as far as sound quality goes. However, the Z623 is about $30 cheaper, which is why I'm rocking it right now. Fantastic speakers for the price (this coming from a guy who has $400 headphones...I'm pretty picky about my music. My "cheap" headphones I use when I'm working out are $100 :) ), I'd highly recommend them.

I've always loved Logitech (I have a Logitech mouse, keyboard, and headset...) and the specs between the Z623 and the Promedia 2.1 looked similar. At the moment as far as prices, the Logitech looks like the best bet at the $115 from Newegg (or $77 refurbished) vs the Klipsch at $150 on Amazon (or eBay for $135... who knows how trustworthy it is).

I just might go with the Logitech Z623's.... Save myself some money.

Any other thoughts?

I have the Z623's myself. They do sound good, even though the bass is overly boomy at times. However, it does sound good when you get to crank it up. If you have ever read any of my front-page articles where I review headsets, you will know how much I love good grumbly bass, so take that for what it is worth.

I've been enjoying my set of Z623's for over a year and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Are the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's worth $60-$80 more than the z623's?

I have Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 and 5.1. Had 5.1's first but needed good sounds on a second system. Have had them for many many hears.. I mean years.. and only complaint is I spent £140 to get 5.1 board rebuilt a couple years ago and need to fiddle with the dinky jacks on jumpers that sometimes ground-loop buzz. But after umteen years of use it's to e expected.

Back