• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best buy is still terrible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

About 10 years ago I stopped shopping at Best Buy due to a terrible customer service experience that should have been super easy. Flash forward to last week when I decided to give them another shot because of next day delivery and they still fail in every aspect.

I bought a 43" Roku TV on the Best Buy website. Nothing super expensive since its just for my office. Purchase was smooth and shipping was said to be next day. Two days later the box shows up at the house so I slide it to the garage where it sat for an extra day for coronavirus reasons. Opened it up yesterday to find the screen is completely smashed, like someone kicked it nice and hard. While I understand this could have been UPS or Best Buy I give BB the benefit of the doubt and start the exchange process on the website. Can't really blame BB at this point I figure. The website only offers two ways to return/exchange it: I can bring it back to the store for free (not a fan of this right now for obvious reasons) or ship it back and pay for shipping which is just plain insane to me. I didn't break the damn thing and they want me to pay shipping!

Anyways, I call their customer support line to see what other options I have. After about 15 minutes on hold I finally get someone that is eating in the mic and sounds like I just woke her up. After a quick conversation of the problem she asked me to please hold while she processes the exchange. About 15 minutes later she comes back to tell me she needs to print a label for me to return it. Once they get it, they will send me a replacement. I ask if I have to pay for the shipping but she doesn't know and asks I hold again. 30 minutes later I am still on hold so I finally hang up. Over an hour I was on the phone to do a simple exchange for something that was delivered broken and I still didn't accomplish what I wanted. So now I get to drive 45 minutes to the local store and do this in person. The one thing I wanted to avoid and could have avoided by shopping just about anywhere else. I realize everything is a little more difficult these days but I have done curbside pickup and/or delivery at multiple big box and local shops since this all started and up to this point had wonderful experiences with all. Best Buy never has and still can't seem to understand that customer service wins customers. Well I learned my lesson and will go back to never supporting Best Buy and urge everyone to do the same. /end rant

Sorry that happened... :(

I've never had a poor experience with them, but understand your personal frustration. I've also never had a tv delivered... sounds like being setup for failure...bleh!

Can't say I'll boycott them though (their only issue is pricing to me - I could get a tv cheaper almost anywhere in most cases).

Last edited:
Sorry that happened... :(

I've never had a poor experience with them, but understand your personal frustration. I've also never had a tv delivered... sounds like being setup for failure...bleh!

Can't say I'll boycott them though (their only issue is pricing to me - I could get a tv cheaper almost anywhere in most cases).
Same for the most part.

I've never had a bad experience with best buy, but I've never used them for more than a remote control, or a game or something that was on sale.

My last two TVs were delivered and had 0 issues, but I got them from Amazon knowing that if there was anything wrong I'd be taken care of.

My last two TVs were delivered and had 0 issues, but I got them from Amazon knowing that if there was anything wrong I'd be taken care of.
I admit that ultimately it is my fault for trying to get something like a tv delivered from other than trusted vendors for sure. I just didn't expect it to be so bad. Shipping damage and mistakes happen and I generally don't fault vendors too much for those as long as they are fixed properly. This was just bad on all levels for me. Both Amazon and Newegg have treated me well but the supposedly fast shipping, that didn't even happen suckered me in at Best Buy. Lesson learned for sure.

I admit that ultimately it is my fault for trying to get something like a tv delivered from other than trusted vendors for sure. I just didn't expect it to be so bad. Shipping damage and mistakes happen and I generally don't fault vendors too much for those as long as they are fixed properly. This was just bad on all levels for me. Both Amazon and Newegg have treated me well but the supposedly fast shipping, that didn't even happen suckered me in at Best Buy. Lesson learned for sure.
Yeah that's overall very surprising how bad it was. I have done the curbside pickup now as I have one about 5 minutes from my house and it was a bit annoying and someone tried to have a return or get tech service infront or me (couldn't hear perfectly) but was basically told they couldn't come in the store or take anything back until policies change.

I once ordered A dvd from best buy, they had to order it and I had to pay in advance.
after A week I got A letter saying the movie wasn't available, went to the store for A refund, no-go, has to be an exchange, no refunds, decided just to wait to see if it would become available, about 2 months later I got my copy of Zorba, the Greek.
We have not and will not do any business with them again.
I hate wally world but they don't play that kind of game.

I once ordered A dvd from best buy, they had to order it and I had to pay in advance.
after A week I got A letter saying the movie wasn't available, went to the store for A refund, no-go, has to be an exchange, no refunds, decided just to wait to see if it would become available, about 2 months later I got my copy of Zorba, the Greek.
We have not and will not do any business with them again.
I hate wally world but they don't play that kind of game.
Honestly, I'm surprised any place allows returns for DVD...that arent broken out of the box.

I'll never understand the logic of boycotting over such things.

Honestly, I'm surprised any place allows returns for DVD...that arent broken out of the box.

I'll never understand the logic of boycotting over such things.
I think you misread. It wasn't a return of a DVD, it was because they said it wouldn't be available when they initially said it would be. So asked for a cancel/refund of the cost as it was not delivered but they refused.

Correct me if I'm wrong CD.

I was given gift cards to BB at Christmas and went to a store in person with them along with the missus in tow. They were a substantial part of the payment for the new stove we purchased. Everything was handled very well (mid-size town), asked for free delivery, got it, dudes showed up and the install was quick and easy, no issues, even hauled off the old stove. That was my third visit to that store in the past couple of years. I got my second monitor on sale and bought a long type-C charging cable previously. They seem to be better in the smaller towns than the big metro area I left as far as I can judge.

in my thinking- if someone sells you something, but cant deliver the specific thing you ordered and then doesnt want to offer a refund- that is horrid

Update: I drove the 45 minutes to the local BB to do the exchange this morning. They are not allowing people in the store but do have staff at multiple tents outside to direct the flow and give directions. All had gloves and masks on which was nice to see. At the first tent they sent me to a parking spot to wait for someone to come out. 5 minutes or so someone came out, took the order number and broken tv. Probably about 5 minutes later came back with a new one and placed it in the bed of my truck. The whole process was maybe 10-15 minutes and handled very well imo. Credit to the local staff for great handling of what so far has been a miserable experience for me. The tv is de-toxing in the garage for a couple days but hopefully it is in good shape and working.

Back