• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best graphics card for a flight sim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

the current spec is:
Case: NZXT Nemesis Elite Black Gaming Case
CPU: AMD Athlon FX60 (s939) retail or if OEM then XP90C heatsink and a Vantec Tornado fan
Hard Drive: 150 GB WD1500AHFD Raptor X, SATA150, 10000 rpm, 16MB Cache, NCQ, 4.6 ms
RAM: Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Redline Extreme Performance (2X1GB is faster than having 4X1GB)
Monitors: 4X ACER AL1916WS 19” WIDESCREEN TFT
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
Power Supply: 680W Thermaltake Purepower PSU
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound Card
Speakers: Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 Surround sound Speaker System
Thermal paste for the CPU: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
DVD ROM and DVD rewriter drives (2 separate drives)
Wireless rechargeable keyboard and wireless rechargeable mouse

(and as you can probable see money is not an issue because i am not paying for it :p )

it is a proper flight simulator system that i will be making and i have heard of special flight simulator Graphics cards but i do not know what they are or where to get them from.
can someone please help me on this?

the special flight sim cards you probably hear about were ATi 32 GPU systems made specifically for the army and such.

For you using 4 LCD's i would recommend x1900XTX or 2 7900 GTX

since you will be spanning across 4 monitors how ever i do not beleive you can use "crossfire" or "SLI" but youwill want the 4 DVI outputs.

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound Card

If money is no issue why get the Music card - it is made more for "music" not everything else - not that it cant do it but..... if money is no issue.

Mr.Guvernment said:
For you using 4 LCD's i would recommend x1900XTX or 2 7900 GTX

since you will be spanning across 4 monitors how ever i do not beleive you can use "crossfire" or "SLI" but youwill want the 4 DVI outputs.

If money is no issue why get the Music card - it is made more for "music" not everything else - not that it cant do it but..... if money is no issue.

i thought about getting the 2X7900gtx but why would i not be able to use the 4 monitors in SLI?

the sound card is not that important because this is a flight sim but yes i agree that a better one would be benaficial

SLI has problems with dual, let a lone 4 monitors. You'd need to run them individualy.

Also, what flight sims are you gonna be playing? Because as far as I know your only gonna be able to use at most 2 LCD's at a time (because only one card per application unless it's special).

Your best be might actualy be getting 3 19" normal LCD's and that matrox triplehead thing which will allow a 3072x1280 resolution (it will make your videocard think it's outputing to one monitor, but this thing will deinterlace the VGA signal and put it up to 3 1024x1280 LCD's.

Let us know more about what sims your gonna be playing because if you rush head first your gonna end up with just one of those LCD's workin and probably be dissapointed.

I would actualy get a single dell 3007fpw and run SLI or crossfire if your only gonna game, otherwise I'd get a single 7900GTX or X1800XTX and run the 3007fpw and then a second pci-e card to run your other monitors or "wings" for desktop stuff.

The Matrox has very little power torun games at high resolution

not using SLI, games like MS flight Sim can use i think like 8 monitors, it will work with 2 seperate cards - no diff then people who used an AGP slot and a PCI slots card to run them.

The game has to support multiple monitors of course, which most all "good" flight sims do.

Back