• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best looking PC game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FXAA is easier on hardware than MSAA, so if by default it uses MSAA and this users switched it to FXAA, it makes sense.

Metro Last Light & Crysis 3 to my understanding are the most hardware demanding. I haven't played Crysis 3 because I heard it wasn't that great. I have Metro Last Light and Metro 2033 and they are great games, Last Light is graphically stunning.

When I bought Last Light, I was looking for the same thing you are. Something that shows off the graphical superiority of PC gaming, and I'm honestly glad I did.

Last edited:
Goat Simulator is out, very graphic, much wow....

But on a more serious note, it depends what you are after.... I absolutely LOVED Bioshock Infinite, the art direction especially blew me away, something of which I haven't seen much of in any other current modern titles. However, while the art direction was quite superb, the graphics itself, while very gorgeous, I wouldn't say compare to the depth in graphics for such a game as say, the Tomb Raider reboot. You may have an interest in Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, and Metro: Last Light if all you are interested in is graphics.

If you want FUN games, this would be my personal list:
Broforce
Titanfall
Quake Live
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Mature content, which should be obvious from the title... But that is the official trailer)
I am mostly into multiplayer games. I cant pay $50 for a single player game that Ill run through in two days.

Does anyone know of a site that allows users to browse the public's rating of a game? For example, IGN lets you see the rating of every PC game ever reviewed on their site, but you can only filter by IGN's rating, not the public's. I am interested in knowing what the collective public thinks is the top games out there.

Does anyone know of a site that allows users to browse the public's rating of a game? For example, IGN lets you see the rating of every PC game ever reviewed on their site, but you can only filter by IGN's rating, not the public's. I am interested in knowing what the collective public thinks is the top games out there.
I havent heard of a site like that...

And I don't think you will, as every game is subjective.... For example, Diablo 3.... Nothing but a giant grindfest, that's it, absolutely nothing else to the game. But you know what, I have a friend that grinds that game constantly, and he loves it. I hate it, he loves it... Very subjective.

The games I listed as fun games, Titanfall IS a multiplayer game and so is Quake Live, the rest are games I find to be "fun" and different from majority of other games. South Park The Stick of Truth was surprisingly great for example.

If you want multiplayer greatness, go to the old-school favorite, Quake Live.

I generally hate what the site has done to games journalism but metacritic may offer this

Recent games I've played and really liked that also looked good:
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Assassin's Creed 4
Far Cry 3
Batman Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes 2
Diablo 3

You can put Dark Souls in here too, but you need to apply some mods to get a decent resolution. Really want to play Dark Souls II.

(Mature content warning!) The Witcher 2. It is harsh on your vram, but it looks incredible, while still maintaining a decent story. I don't know if you will like how it plays, so be warned on that.

That said, It isn't here *yet* but Star Citizen is on the horizon, boasting AAA quality space exploration, etc etc etc. If you played Freelancer or Wing Commander, Then it will play like that, with a whole lot more bells and whistles to boot.

http://robertsspaceindustries.com

:D

Next in line would be...Well, not so much on the graphics side of things, but Planet Explorers is like a minecraft meets skyrim meets Sci-fi kind of game.

Its on steam.

http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/

A Up and coming Racing game, from the flatout series makers, Next Car game. bland name, but some interesting features being offered. Started on kickstarter, sucessful.

http://nextcargame.com/

Next up in the list, Anteworld. This is a tech-demo currently, as the engine is being developed along side it, BUT, What if I told you it has a 1:1 scale earth, dynamic Height map terrain detail fractal generation, Dynamic terrain morphing, AND a flight simulator library included?*Very early rendition, flight physics are still wonky*.

The Engine is Outerra, and it promises to revolutionize gaming in the future, leaving texture generation to the engine, allowing designers to focus on gameplay.

http://www.outerra.com/

Keep in mind, a lot of these suggestions are still tech demo pre-alpha status, but It might interest you guys none-the-less. Bon Appétit~!

The last two games that I have played that really really impressed me with graphics were Tomb Raider and Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag with TR coming out perhaps a tad on top. I say that because AC4 is capped at 60fps. Regardless of that, the work that went into the environments and worlds in those two games is outstanding. Not just the environment, but weapons, players, physics. I was just incredibly impressed with those games.

Crysis 3 as well. However I think from a 3rd person game you are able to take a bit more of an advantage of the work that goes into the game's environment than a first person. The trade off is you don't get to see some snazzy weapon models in third person games. Not saying Crysis 3 was lacking because it was not lacking AT ALL. Damn good game. For an FPS, this is the benchmark IMHO.

Bioshock Infinite looked very good but to be honest they used a lot of wow and flare effects, like the dynamic lighting effects which I feel are very very good, to hide some less than stellar models. The player models IMHO were nothing overly special. Weapons looked great, but when comparing Infinite to a game like Crysis 3 its pretty easy to see where it falls short.

Titanfall should get a call out here. Really good looking game. I'm very impressed with it from top to bottom. Crysis 3 graphics? No, but still really damn good. Someone asked me to post a picture of how Titanfall looked on my computer, I should do that at some pt soon.

Tomb Raider was honestly one of the best games I've played in years. I just loved the story, Lara's development as a character, the gameplay. I know some others may disagree, but I haven't felt that engaged, on the edge of my seat, by a video game since maybe Half Life 2 through HL2 EP2. It really was an epic epic game from head to toe.

I don't know why you care about graphics so much while most of the games on the market are really bad and it's hard to play more than 1-2 evenings. The main issue is probably that designers focus on 2-5h of good looks than actual fun for longer.
There are maybe 1-2 titles per year that are good like BF4. All others if don't have multiplayer then are 5h and done and you never want back.

So true!

That's why once in a while I play through FFIV-V-VI on a snes emulator!

Looks like the answer has been pretty much covered but i'd like to add a bit of clarity. I did a few google searches a ways back. The general consensus is that two following games will demand the most from your PC. (edit: and look really good too)
  • Metro: Last Light
  • Tomb Raider
The next two are near the top of the list
  • Crysis 3
  • Far Cry 3

I have Metro Last Light, FC3 and Tomb Raider.....all 3 are visually stunning but its Last Light that is the most demanding for my PC (see my sig)!
Even w/ graphic mods, Skyrim is getting old in the tooth. It is a good looking game but not demanding for a updated PC and certainly not on any list for best modern graphics.

Last edited:
But does demanding mean looks the best? Poorly coded could be a reason it is so demanding...

I would say the games I listed aside from Crysis 3(dont own it) are very good looking games (have you seen Laura Crofts hair move in the wind...amazing!)!!!
I hear what you say about a poorly coded game. Cryostasis was a demanding game for the PC that looked like poop. That game vexed me so much until I discovered that many people had similar issues.

I am going to toss this into the mix as MMO's dont normally get any love for best graphics:
In the MMO category:
  • PlanetSide 2
  • The Secret World (w/ DX11 on)
Both of those games look pretty good for MMO's :)

EQ really started to have good graphics for an MMO with the recent Expansions. Someone also mention Aion, that game was really a good looking MMO also. I remember when EQ2 had came out too, was one of the most graphic demanding games at its release.

Minimum requirements for Watch Dogs seem to list an i7 3770 or FX 8350, lol.

Ah ok, Tweaktown's article is a little iffy then. Damn, was expecting uber greatness :p the modern day Crysis conundrum

Skyrim with some mods can look pretty good.

Attachments

• ScreenShot2.jpg
    ScreenShot2.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ScreenShot5.jpg
    ScreenShot5.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 75
Back