• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best option/value for router that can handle 1 Gigabit connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

So I just moved and now have 1 Gbps service. BUT, I'm only seeing about 250-300 Mbps from any source I've tried (speed test.net, downloading from a few different sites, Usenet, etc)

I wanted to be sure it wasn't on my end before I called to complain/get it fixed. I'm currently using a Netgear AC1450, running DD-WRT. I can't connect directly to the modem to test, I tried and it won't work for whatever reason (the modem is a technicolor TC-4400-AM. It's through my provider, Mediacom. They told me they didn't currently allow people to just their own modems with their gigabit service.)

So, I'm looking for a router that will hopefully allow me to use this connection to its potential. I don't care if it's wifi built in, if it's wired only, I would plan to buy something like this for a WiFi AP

I'm really trying to slowly move to lower power devices where possible. Just moved, but before I did, my power company sent me letter stating I was using about 150% of the power of my neighbors with similarly sized houses. So, I plan to slowly upgrade my devices. My server currently sits idle sucking down 160-170W and 200-230W in average usage, would love to update it so that idle goes much lower!

I mention this because I know I could build something like a smoothwall or pfsense based router from old hardware I may have laying around, but I really would prefer something that won't suck so much power.

Thanks guys!

I would say that you really need to get your machine to work straight from the modem. You say that it did not work when you tried it. I would suggest that you try the following:

Make sure that your computer is set to DHCP and not a static IP.
Power off the modem and your computer.
Power on the modem.
Power on your computer after modem has fully booted.
If it still doesn't work, open a CMD window and type ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

I really stress this before buying new gear or yelling at your ISP who will say that the speeds are "up to...".

If you find that you get drastically better speeds without your router, you may be asking it to do too much in terms of packet inspection or some other function with the DD-WRT.

Last edited:
I would say that you really need to get your machine to work straight from the modem. You say that it did not work when you tried it. I would suggest that you try the following:

Make sure that your computer is set to DHCP and not a static IP.
Power off the modem and your computer.
Power on the modem.
Power on your computer after modem has fully booted.
If it still doesn't work, open a CMD window and type ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

I really stress this before buying new gear or yelling at your ISP who will say that the speeds are "up to...".

If you find that you get drastically better speeds without your router, you may be asking it to do too much in terms of packet inspection or some other function with the DD-WRT.
Agreed with everything here.

If it works as expected from there the Ubiquiti ERL or ERX I believe both support gigabit speeds. I'm more certain about the ERL from what I've read.

Ya know, I'm not sure why I didn't think of power cycling the modem. That did it. And my router is definitely my bottleneck. I'll still have to check if DD-WRT is possibly configured in a way that is dramatically slowing it down. But, with my modem connected directly:

Capture-Comcast.JPG Capture-NITCO.JPG

/me sits in the corner drooling thinking about 1gigbit service
Yeah..... it's kind of exciting. :D

I'm betting (no guarantee) that the router's CPU won't be able to keep up with the speed. I would be more sure of it if your bandwidth was symmetrical, but since it isn't (I'm betting gig/100up?) it may be able to keep up and maybe you can try overclocking the cpu in it (if supported). But overall going with a better router would likely give more consistent throughput.

Well, thank you all, I decided to go with the EdgeRouter ERPOE-5.

Is thinking of going with the Lite, but chose to spend the extra money just because various info I found showed pretty consistently that the POE-5 had no problems keeping up with gigabit connections and it has the built in switch. I didn't think it would matter, but I wanted to be sure my server, and possibly main PC, are connected right to the router.

Back