• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best recent updated boot utility disk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I've been googling around and it looks like hirens boot cd is popular but hasn't been updated in a long time. There is a fan made one that came out recently but not sure if it's legit. I basically need a free alternative to parted magic to clean some old hard drives and ssd's properly before I sell them. Thanks!

You can run Linux from the dvd and use Gparted to remove old partitions (DON'T INSTALL JUST RUN FROM DVD), I don't know if it can wipe them before removing the partitions. Linux is free to download and use.

thanks for the suggestions. i'll download them all. for the moment i ended up doing clean all in diskpart on my spinner drives and secure erase with samsung magician for the ssd. after googling around a bit it seems that a single layer of zeros on a modern hard drive is plenty. apparently even an electron microscope can barely recover an occasional meaningless scrap of data.

Back