• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Router for SB6121 Modem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

salsa88

I'm upgrading my router as my current Game Lounge DGL-4500 is having issues.
I have Cox highspeed internet with 20-25mps & need a router that has a long range as my new house isn't getting much signal on the 1st floor. I mainly stream HD movies from my Plex Media server to other devices around my house (ATV2, Laptop, Ipad) So it needs to be compatible with Plex Media Server settings as well. Other then HD streaming I have the usual ps3, xbox, & of course Pc gaming that I do.

The Routers I'm looking at currently:
1. Asus RT-AC66U
2. Netgear R6300

I don't know if my Motorola Surfboard SB6121 is compatible with a 802.11ac Router though? :shrug:

Let me know what you guys would suggest as a fast, compatible HD streaming & gaming router?

Thanks!

I'm upgrading my router as my current Game Lounge DGL-4500 is having issues.
I have Cox highspeed internet with 20-25mps & need a router that has a long range as my new house isn't getting much signal on the 1st floor. I mainly stream HD movies from my Plex Media server to other devices around my house (ATV2, Laptop, Ipad) So it needs to be compatible with Plex Media Server settings as well. Other then HD streaming I have the usual ps3, xbox, & of course Pc gaming that I do.

The Routers I'm looking at currently:
1. Asus RT-AC66U
2. Netgear R6300

I don't know if my Motorola Surfboard SB6121 is compatible with a 802.11ac Router though? :shrug:

Let me know what you guys would suggest as a fast, compatible HD streaming & gaming router?

Thanks!

GET THE ASUS

we had a few netgears in our home. and they suck. end up dieing after a while. not with cisco or motorola.

I've become partial to Buffalo Gigabit routers. I'm running a WZR-HP-G300NH with CAT6 Modem to Router to Tower. Since then, they've come out with the newer AG600 which has got to be fun.
They also support DD-WRT firmware. I think they've come out with one for the newest wifi format "802.11AC" too but I'm not positive.

What would be the best Ethernet cable to run from my modem to the asus router? Currently I'm running a basic cat5.

That's fine. The only thing different is the shielding on the cables. For a run that short, the type of cable doesn't matter - buy cheap.

At the very least you need to run CAT5e but I'd run CAT6. CAT6 has the best EMI protection and throughput. Besides, the worst place for EMI is at the Router and Modem not to mention
any electrical wires along the way to your system.

Back