• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Windows Operating System for Game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr McFondled

Disabled
Hello every one, I'm new to this site and also new to the building of a computer lol/ Any ways. I was sort of wondering what is the best operating system for games. I currently have a stripped down version of Vista that I made because the games I play only run on Vista. I heard that Windows FLP is very very good as it only runs on 64mb of ram x3 But lacks Vista games (( Well I can't play any of my games )) ! and Windows 7 is awesome and very well maintained and faster then Vista & Xp, But I'm not sure what to choose. Any ways, I hope I posted in the right place !

This is basically what I have for gaming.
AMD Athlon 2.87Ghz
1gb of ram which i will be adding another 1gb soon.
Geforce 8500 GT.

Vista if you buy today, Win7 if you can wait. I prefer Vista to Win7, so I doubt I'll be upgrading.

Welcome to the forums!!

Hey Thanks. I guess I'll stay with Vista for the moment. I do like it. Especially since my version is so tiny. I have games running smoothly but at low resolution. But its cool Its cool.

I would actually say xp is better with games as it supports the newer games (sadly not DX10 though) and still supports some of the old games that vista doesn't ie. doom 3. Luckily Deus Ex runs on any OS. That game was coded amazingly. It runs on 98, 2k, me, xp, vista, most likely 7 and probably would still run on linux.

Doom 3 runs on Vista.

Buying XP now is like buying a nice AGP gfx card. It may be nice, but it's still an AGP gfx card.

I personally would stick it out for Windows 7. I prefer it to vista, it has a smaller footprint (except for th 12-14gigis of hd space it eats up... yikes!) And I had issues with Vista

I would actually say xp is better with games as it supports the newer games (sadly not DX10 though) and still supports some of the old games that vista doesn't ie. doom 3. Luckily Deus Ex runs on any OS. That game was coded amazingly. It runs on 98, 2k, me, xp, vista, most likely 7 and probably would still run on linux.
I see. Would Windows FLP be of help. I had it installed. But non of my games would run sadly. and Windows FLP was the best Operating system i had.

I have never heard of Windows FLP until I just googled what it actually was. Apparently it is a stripped down version of XP microsoft released for Legacy PCs, however, I think if you just downloaded nLite and took out what you really don't need in XP would be a better alternative since you can't purchase FLP through retail outlets.

I like Vista a lot. But some older games can be a challenge to run on it.
XP can run anything. I still use XP on my old rig but Vista is the wave of the near future.

Been using vista for the past two years. Gotta say that I like Windows 7 better than vista. It has many new little tweaks that vista doesn't and my memory and hd usage have gone down.

edit: Forgot to mention that I game and finally with my 4870 on win 7 with the cat 9.3's I do not stutter anymore in fallout 3 and farcry 2. Games run flawless right now.

I would stick it out to win7... Its what vista should of been.

I'll agree with this 100%. Windows 7 in beta is proving itself to be far superior in my eyes than Vista, which I tried to run many times and never liked. Removing all that bloatware and putting it on Windows Live instead, and giving the option to remove IE, WMP, etc is huge. Windows Update is moved to Control Panel so it doesn't require IE be present anymore. Plus gaming on it has been flawless, and in some instances smoother than Vista with the same drivers.

This is the first version of Windows that I've been actually enthused about since Win98SE. Too bad it took them too long to listen to customer feedback and Vista ended up as WinME2.

I'll agree with this 100%. Windows 7 in beta is proving itself to be far superior in my eyes than Vista, which I tried to run many times and never liked. Removing all that bloatware and putting it on Windows Live instead, and giving the option to remove IE, WMP, etc is huge. Windows Update is moved to Control Panel so it doesn't require IE be present anymore. Plus gaming on it has been flawless, and in some instances smoother than Vista with the same drivers.

This is the first version of Windows that I've been actually enthused about since Win98SE. Too bad it took them too long to listen to customer feedback and Vista ended up as WinME2.

I still remeber Win98SE. If i look carefully I still have my original copy with the manual. Somewhere in my room

I still remeber Win98SE. If i look carefully I still have my original copy with the manual. Somewhere in my room

Me too. I almost recall my license key by heart. I used 98Lite back in those days and I remember my OS installation being down to about 125MB. I didn't upgrade to XP until Service Pack 2 came out and LitePC made a version for XP to take out the added junk.

Me too. I almost recall my license key by heart. I used 98Lite back in those days and I remember my OS installation being down to about 125MB. I didn't upgrade to XP until Service Pack 2 came out and LitePC made a version for XP to take out the added junk.

Man, Those were the days. When I first got my Desktop it was a Packard Bell. It only had 1gb Hdd. after about a year they began to sell 10gb and i begged to buy one. It was a Maxtor, That thing was small compard to days Hdd, it was at least a quarter of a inch smaller. xD and it even has a fishy on the circuit board lol

If performance is all that matters, XP is slightly faster than either Vista or Win7 for the majority of games. But given a sufficiently powerful computer, the difference between the three is negligible. So I suggest you use the OS that you personally prefer.

Like everybody said Windows 7
But thats only because XP doesn't have any support for DX10 or above..If it did, EVERYBODY would say XP. I noticed a HUGE difference in loading times and FPS going from XP to 7 on my old dual core computer..

Back