• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 and CPU usage.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaredraydubois

Registered
I've heard from many people that a decent quad core is plenty for bf3. Does that only hold true for Intel CPU's?

Keep in mind this is a 1090t@4GHz.

Settings (Stays under 1GB of VRAM):

iblQXaU8QipX1i.png

Mega CPU usage *Running hot for testing purposes only*:

iZd8Cm01rq8WZ.png

Nothing else was running in the background. It normally sits at 70% but jumps up to 95-97% pretty often. Isn't that a ton of power for one game? Is this normal? :shrug:

It is. My 980BE at 4.4Ghz is able to run the game at Ultra, but I drop to the high 30s on the B2K maps. From what I know, an Intel 3770K would give me 15 frames extra in BF3. I have a friend who just went from an 1100T (Stock) to an Intel 3770K (Stock) with the same video card (Overclocked to 1200 Core and 1550 Mem) and he got 15 frames more than me everywhere.

If you want to lower CPU usage, drop Mesh quality.

I'm also using a 1090t, i just overclocked my GPU to get a nice 60 FPS on Ultra, my CPU usage averages 50%, i have never seen it climb to 70% let alone 90% + :shrug:

TriXXGaming? something to do with Sapphire?

Last edited:
I'm also using a 1090t, i just overclocked my GPU to get a nice 60 FPS on Ultra, my CPU usage averages 50%, i have never seen it climb to 70% let alone 90% + :shrug:

I hope I'm not the only one. Even on Ultra settings its stays at about 50%?
"TriXX" was taken. Its been my screen name since CoD4. Lol.

Now I mad. I can't get a constant 60 on Ultra. I get a constant 40-45 on Ultra. How did you manage a nice 60 : (

Now I mad. I can't get a constant 60 on Ultra. I get a constant 40-45 on Ultra. How did you manage a nice 60 : (

I don't want to go off topic so lets not get to much into it, but to answer your question i set the GPU volts to 1.2v. The GPU core to 920Mhz and the Memory to 1400Mhz.

I also turned off AA as it makes absolutely no difference @ 1080P in the image quality anyway. (and that matters more than anything)

there is more to play with on it yet, but i have only had the thing for a day, i might write a post on Overclocking it once i'm done playing with it :)

From Frakk's Signature.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, (4Ghz, Vcore 1.37v, NB 2850Mhz,- 9 hour P-95 full blend, cores 49c) My Benchmarks
GPU: Sapphire 6950 (Clock 890Mhz / MEM 1375Mhz)

That is probably how he did it. Does yours compare very very closely? That is going to be key. Got to be almost apples to apples compare.

From Frakk's Signature.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, (4Ghz, Vcore 1.37v, NB 2850Mhz,- 9 hour P-95 full blend, cores 49c) My Benchmarks
GPU: Sapphire 6950 (Clock 890Mhz / MEM 1375Mhz)

That is probably how he did it. Does yours compare very very closely? That is going to be key. Got to be almost apples to apples compare.

Yeah, the CPU-NB seems to make a little difference, but also that AA is a FPS killer, with it set to the highest (4x) my FPS drops to around 40. and its useless at high res, as i say no difference.....

But you do have to tweak the GPU and the CPU to get the most out of both of them.

Also my GPU signature needs updating, i will do that when i decide what my final settings are :)

Found the problem. The ONE other thing running, HWiNFO64 (top left), uses a whopping 30% of my CPU. Thanks for the help guys. Happy gaming. :attn:

Back