• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BIOS CPU overclocking - strange readings...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spurlz

I just reset my AMD Overdrive profile to default, and performed my CPU overclocking in the BIOS instead.

What's confusing me is that my "Target Speed" values look great -
Core speed: 4000 Mhz (Default: 3.4)
My "Current Speed" values however look horrendous (i.e. 018.28 MHz)
I'm running stable at 20x Multiplier, but these values worry me.

Below are some screenshots of my settings:

AMD Overdrive: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o262/Spurlz/CPU.jpg
CPU-Z Clock info: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o262/Spurlz/CPU-ZClocks.jpg
CPU-Z Memory Settings: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o262/Spurlz/CPU-ZMemory.jpg

RIG:
OS: Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785TD-V EVO Rev X.0x
CPU: 4.00 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965

Also, I have frequented this forum often but am a new member and still getting my feet wet with overclocking.
Just want to say the community here seems great, knowledgeable, and very helpful.
I really appreciate any insight or wisdom you guys can provide.

The CPU-z pics show your settings are all appropriate and you have a good overclock. Not sure what you are referring to when you talk about target settings? Is this something in your bios? Perhaps you could take a digital camera pic of what you are referring to and attach it.

By the way, we prefer pics to be attached rather than linked. Just easier to view. There is a built in forum tool for doing this. After cropping and saving the images to disc with something like Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip icon at the top which will load the file browser and upload tool.

Are you overclocking with the individual manual overclock controls in bios or using an auto overclock genie?

My apologies - I should have better specified.

What I am referring to with "Target" and "Current" speeds are specific fields displayed in the AMD Overdrive utility (attached screenshot using the paperclip icon this time).
These two fields are circled in red.

I'm not aware of an overclock genie in BIOS - I selected 'Manual' for the CPU Multiplier and incremented/tested until I reached 20.
Did not adjust any voltages (still at the point where voltage adjustments scare me :-/).

Maybe I should just ignore AMD Overdrive readings and just trust that CPU-Z is more accurate?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post :)

Nevermind...

Ok, I figured it out..

It seems that some of the fields in AMD OverDrive are getting cut off for some reason.

So, when CPU Core 0 Speed has Current speed listed as: "018.28", it's actually "4018.28"

Sorry for the waste of time, but thank you again.

Take care!

Back