• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note. I find it a bit frustrating looking at the KH/s list that's been posted a few times.

Seems a lot of those numbers, while true, are with the card overclocked to the nuts and not necessarily stable. I've always come to the low end of the numbers to keep stable. I can sometimes get the high end, but it either crashes, or blue screens, or just general instability.

Side note. I find it a bit frustrating looking at the KH/s list that's been posted a few times.

Seems a lot of those numbers, while true, are with the card overclocked to the nuts and not necessarily stable. I've always come to the low end of the numbers to keep stable. I can sometimes get the high end, but it either crashes, or blue screens, or just general instability.

My old 5870's use to run between 400 and 450. I think stock they were around 380/390. I need to get a bunch more.

Im looking at getting those 3x 5970 is can, then buy mayb 2x 290, and replace them with my 7970's in my gaming rig.

Rough numbers that should land med around 3800, on the safe side, hopefully closer to 4ghs

Maybe its just me but it seems like PTS has been steadily declining in value while the difficulty of mining has consistently gone up. Add to that the increased number of orphan blocks and its really coming off as a very ineffective coin to mine. I think that once I receive my next payout Im going to drop PTS completely and switch over exclusively to XPM again.

Yup, I already made the switch back to XPM.

I'm mining LTC & XPM now.

I've been on XPM for a few weeks now. I saw how XPM was more profitable and stayed that way as PTS declined.

XPM is also much less intensive to mine (100%CPU on XPM allows you to do other things at the same time, where 100%CPU on PTS makes the system very slow when trying to do other things)

I've been on XPM for a few weeks now. I saw how XPM was more profitable and stayed that way as PTS declined.

XPM is also much less intensive to mine (100%CPU on XPM allows you to do other things at the same time, where 100%CPU on PTS makes the system very slow when trying to do other things)

That's true, you can mine XPM full blast and still use your rig.
Mine PTS full blast and you're gonna have a bad time. :p

That's true, you can mine XPM full blast and still use your rig.
Mine PTS full blast and you're gonna have a bad time. :p

Meh, PTS was good for a while and I wanted to keep my options open. My dual socket server is quite a bit faster at XPM than it was at PTS(~7k primes VS 150cm) so its been on XPM all but a few couple hour sessions just to get to the payout threshold faster. While my wifes 2500K was pretty good at PTS mining at ~160cm on 3 cores with one dedicated for GPU management + user stuffs.

My rig was running half and have, 5 cores on PTS, and 3 on XPM. Between all those CPUs I was able to get ~2PTS payouts per day, and one XPM payout per day for the last few weeks pretty consistently.

Now that I have the 670, 6850, and 7950 24/7 on LTC I am earning about 0.35LTC per day, and with my ASICs back on PPC they are earning what looks to be about 0.25PPC/day. Not nearly as good as they once were for PPC but since the value of PPC is almost 3x that of what it was when I mined it last Im not gonna complain.

0.35 LTC/day? Nice.
What would be your guess as too LTC/day for a 6870?
Dustcoin says 0.112 LTC/day...

But I'm hoping you guys will know a few tweaks for cgminer and a 6870...Right? :)
Maybe we can push a 6870 to 320 Kh/s? (assuming the card is not already sold)

So for GPU heavy systems, it seems that 2x PSUs is a bunch cheaper than getting one 1200+ unit. Especially when a decent single 5-600w PSU can be had for like 25-50 bucks.

Do most people do this?
Are there any PSUs especially good for being used as a GPU only PSU? Obviously you only need the 12V power for that use.

Do you really want to skimp on a component of your build which runs at ~40 *C + and 70-80% load 24/7?

Can anyone help me start up mining litecoins?

I use to use GUIminer, i never learnt anything else, and i know you dont use guiminer for litecoins.

Assuming you are using Radeon's, you need to download cgminer.
Then set it up with a pool like give-me-coins.com

I use Nvidia for LTC mining, a big no-no but it's all I got until I buy that 6870 from kijiji.

So I use Cudaminer not cgminer so I can't help you setup cgminer.... :(

So i took the first few steps to rebuilding my mining rig.

Bought some risers, and a 6870. Also hoping to score an Asus P5Q Pro with CPU, if not i have one already.

Those are not bad, 1366 xeons...not the best but not bad. For 100 and also fitting a gpu is game me thinks.

I'm gonna go for dual sandy or ivy bridge-ep xeons soon, those are dam cheep at Ebay. I'm building a rig for a guy I know and we'll use 10 core xeons in a 2p Asus board.

unfortunately those are 771 xeons not 1366 not sure how energy efficient they'll be over 1366's

According to GiveMeCoins calculator and assuming 250Khash it says roughly 0.093LTC per day. @ 1KBTC and 0.035 BTC / LTC you should make about 0.1BTC per month. 30 day break even is not a bad investment IMO.

Ok, so i actually sat down and got CGminer to work! But its getting horrible khash.

Any one able to help me understand the commands to get max outta my cards?

I want to run my second card at 100% to start with, and not use my first card at all!

Is this possible?

------------------

I got that part figured.. woohoo, now how to get the card to run more then 20kh/s :/

------------------

Got it up to 400kh/s but thats still 300 below where it should be.

Its a 7970Ghz, im running 13.10 drivers, and this is my command line setup atm.

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://xxxxxx -u xxxx -p xxxxxx -d 1 --failover-only --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192 --intensity 13 -g 2 --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-memclock 1500

Last edited:
According to GiveMeCoins calculator and assuming 250Khash it says roughly 0.093LTC per day. @ 1KBTC and 0.035 BTC / LTC you should make about 0.1BTC per month. 30 day break even is not a bad investment IMO.

30 day break even is very fast to me.

According to ilitecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison a 6870 should at least get 293 Kh/s.... ~ 0.112 LTC/day...

Are 6870's PcieX 3.0 or 2.0???? If it's 3.0, will putting it in a 2.0 slot hurt hashrate?

0.35 LTC/day? Nice.

But I'm hoping you guys will know a few tweaks for cgminer and a 6870...Right? :)
Maybe we can push a 6870 to 320 Kh/s? (assuming the card is not already sold)
I helped my best mate setup his 6870, and with very little tweaking, it does around 315kh/s. That is a watercooled card though, so Temps aren't an issue, although I think it is at stock clocks.

delete the scrypt################.bin files from cgminer directory.

Add
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
before the cgminer call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back