• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black and yellow themed Fractal Design ARC XL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squadfer

Well guys the case that I've been eye balling to create a new build ended up being on newegg's shell shocker deal today. Needless to say I sprung for it as soon as I noticed the price went down in my shopping cart :). So I might as well get the build thread started so I have a place to start putting the ideas down.

During this purchase I grabbed:
Fractal Design ARC XL
Gelid 140mm fans X5. I choose these fans due to there relatively high static pressure for 140mm fans. They were also on sale at the time of purchase.
NZXT Sentry Mix2 fan controlelr
and a copy of windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. I have windows 7 on my current machine and figured I would give it a shot... Another deciding factor was the fact that I'm currently a computer/network security analyst so I figured I might as well get exposed to it.

Components that are final but not purchased yet:
Intel i7-4770k
Samsung 840 EVO

Components that are tentative:
ASRock Z87 OC Formula The color scheme fits and specs are nice. Price could be better, with regards to that, its competitor for my aesthetics needs is an MSI mpower board... Right now the ASRock is my choice due to some features it has over the MSI mpower.
SeaSonic X-1050 This is tentative due to size requirements. Once I have my case on hand I will measure out if this is going to be small enough length wise for my needs.
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb for now, will be getting another set to make 32Gb next year (if needed). This is also tentative due to the speed. I can get G.skill sniper 2400 for less than the corsair sticks but I don't know if the heatsink will fit due to my plans for this case. Also I don't know if the speed difference will be noticeable?

I am holding off on purchasing the rest of the hardware due to blackFriday/cyberMonday being right around the corner.

I currently have a Sapphire 7970 dual-x(non reference :bang head) that will be utilized for the GPU. I will be replacing it early next year though as I want the GPU under water. I'm currently waiting for the release of the 780ti classified HC. The sticker price might shock me enough to go for a 290x + waterblock though. I've been with AMD for a while now, 4890 - 2 X 6870's - 7970, and I was hoping to give nvidia a shot this time around.

Speaking of water blocks, I will be getting back into water cooling with this build as well. With the front HD cages removed there is room in the ARC XL for a 2X140mm rad. I am going to be putting a Alphacool NexXxos Monsta in this spot. I am also hoping of being able to put another Alphacool NexXxos monsta up top. I got to do some measurements before I can know for certain if I can fit this beast up there. This is also the reason why I'm looking at the Corsair low profile ram as a 80mm thick rad will be hanging right next to the ram and I don't want a heat sink that is just for show preventing me from placing this monster where I want it. There is also another spot that I can put a 120mm Monsta built into the case at the bottom. This placement is the reason why I'm looking for a PSU that is relatively short in length as it will be going right next to this rad position. I will know for sure if it will work out once I receive my case. I currently own an EK supreme HF water block from my last endeavor in water cooling and I will be reusing this block. The res/pump is tentative at the moment, I'm leaning towards a Monsoon series two with a mcp35X pump. I might go with a tube res though... I am currently eye balling some 3/8 X 5/8 Yellow tubing along with assorted black compression fittings to tie everything together.

I will be ordering some MDPC sleeving, black and some yellow, as well to sleeve every cable.

Last edited:
So I just noticed that I placed this thread in the Alternative Modding section. Could I ask any moderator that happens to browse this thread to move me over to the Case and Case modding section?

Today I received the Fractal Design Arc XL case. As soon as the fedex dude left, I yanked the case out of it's shipping box and proceeded to strip it down. Once the provided fans and HDD drive cages were removed I began to make some measurements. This resulted in me having to do some minor adjustments to the parts list that I first envisioned.

First up I will list the component list that I have settled on.
Intel i7 4770k
ASRock Z87 OC Formula
Samsung 840 EVO
Reference design AMD r9 290x
2 X 2TB storage drives

PSU isn't settled yet due to size requirements. 7inches long is the sweet spot where 7.5 inches would be a tad too long due to the cables coming out of the back.

Memory is also not settle yet.... too many choices to narrow down on this one lol... In time I will choose though...

Now onto the radiators:
1 dual 140mm monsta
1 dual 120mm UT60
1 single 120mm UT60

Instead of a dual bay res/pump combo I will be going with a tube res and a MPC35X pump, maybe dual pumps. Now that I have two slots available for use in the 5.25 bay area, I will be placing the two storage hdd's there.

There will be a total of 16 fans being utilized (excluding the PSU fan) within this case. All of which will be controlled by the NZXT Sentry Mix 2

I will start adding pictures as soon as I purchase/receive more parts.

Update time!

So over the past two weeks I've been watching the deals and grabbing stuff as they become decent enough to not pass up.

So here are the parts that I've acquired so far:
ASRock Z87 Extreme 6
i7 4770k
LG Blueray burner
8BG dominator 2133
cooler master v1000
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
NZXT Sentry Mix2
2X 2tb reds
Fractal Design ARC XL
5X 140mm Fans

Over the next month I will be replacing the white in the case with yellow and saving up to purchase a few items to get the water cooling aspect started. Until then, I will be rocking the stock intel hs/fan.

Here are the pictures of how it currently sits (phone pics).
IMG_20131118_193945_573.jpg
IMG_20131118_195056_658.jpg
IMG_20131118_195816_896.jpg
IMG_20131129_194149_212.jpg
IMG_20131129_194211_116.jpg
IMG_20131129_194350_935.jpg
IMG_20131129_194425_095.jpg
IMG_20131129_194233_149.jpg

Back