• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bored

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GaldedRaw

Well I can't post in general discussion yet and I am bored. So I'll post some off topic stuff and end it with something on topic to the main thread.

Sitting here in Afghanistan and bored out of my mine. Not everyone is a ground pounder and we all have specific jobs (as some may know). Mine is pretty interesting, I specifically am a Umanned Ariel Vehicle Operator by trade. However my purpose out here is to be a Mission Commander for them. In my terrible avatar pic that is me standing next to one of the 75lb UAVS, known as the Aerosonde. Most of the time I am commanding 4 missions unless the aircraft is returning to base to be replaced by another. The current weather conditions here are preventing us from flying hence why I am bored.

It's been a pretty dull deployment when it comes to combat standards, but we still have people getting hurt out here. Not as much back in the day. We have these things called HiMARS (missiles, if the Hand of God and Lady Justice had a child, it would be these) that used to shoot out behind our compound and would scare the heck out of our civilian contractors haha. Them babies are going away :(.

During my course of the deployment I have been researching and learning a lot about computers, but I still have a lot more to learn. I've made a decision on what path I am going to take on my computer build and have already purchased some of the parts (I posted some pics already in that one thread). So I was just going to throw out what I am building and maybe a little why.

Currently the main thing I am doing is building a computer that is going to last. There is no such thing as future proof, but there is such as durability or endurance when it comes to technology. I decided to go with the x79 chipset, I also know this is a 3 years old, but to my belief it is still better then the z87. Its native support seems like it sucks, but manufactures can add controllers to "enhance" the experience so to say. I will be gaming on it for now and when I leave the service my goal is to use it for "take home-work" from college for CAD designs for the [mechatronics] engineering program I want to take. I also am aware colleges will have CAD labs. Practice makes perfect and if I can only practice at school what good is that?

As follows:
Things I have bought
CPU: 4930k - I managed to get this for 500$ off of ebay
Mobo: ASUS RIVBE - Purchased when it was on sale.
GPU: Gigabytes 780ti OC edition - Purchased for 650$
Case: Corsair 900D - Purchased when that went on sale too.
PSU: LEPA-1200 - Purchased.
Case Fans: Corsair's 120SP quiet editions (x8 used a promo to get 20% off)
SSD: 240GB Kingston 300V Now - This was bought pretty early before reading an article that Kingston switch out the chips that cause it to perform worse. That is an error on my part.

Have yet to buy
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws Z 32GB (4x8) 2400Mhz. (memory I am still looking at other options so if you have suggestions please don't hesitate)
Monitor: Between ASUS VN247H-P (TN panel 1ms) or an Acer H236HLbid (IPS 5ms and most likely going to get this one) both with thin bezels will explain.
CPU cooler: CM 212 Evo.
Mass storage: Seagate 3TB 7200rpm and will most likely looking to get more for raid setups.

Future plans: Triple monitor, Triple SLI, H2O cooling for CPU and GPUs. That is why I am getting a skimpy CPU cooler right now. I will pass that off to the wife's build when I get the time and money for that. Aside from just the normal Gaming and rendering I want to delve into the other parts of the computer world. This website made me look into Folding and SETI and what they are. I will probably be looking to do some Folding because medical research to me is important and my wife works in the medical field and has her own medical issues too. The engineering degree program is going to teach me some other uses with computers too.

As You can tell I talk a lot sometimes all over, but I am trying to keep it short too haha. I can talk all day about my job and motorcycles lol.

Drone!!! People tend to understand drones better then UAV :(. Though similiar in nature a drone is an autonomous with lack of human input. A drone's only human input would be prior to take off when setting a flight path. It would automatically fly it's course, complete its mission, return and land all on its own. UAV have more of a human input into it. Even though the flight surfaces are controlled through a computer, human input can change its flight path. UAV's still needs a human to tell it when to land and where to go if a flight path hasn't been created.

But thank you Mr. Scott :). I thank you, more, for the support.

Oh the UAV I operate is so much cooler then these lil baby planes (some will argue differently). Shhhhhhaaaaaaddddddooooooooooooowwwww! The flying lawn mower.

Drone is a generic term that people understand. I know what you do, I meant no disrespect.
I'm ex-military BTW. ;)

No disrespect was taken :). Are you ex or prior. Ex military you did something bad oooooooooooo. Haha kidding, thank you for the time you have given, though its not lost time, it is valuable time. It makes me cringe that there are people still home doing the same thing 8 years later.

Are you ex or prior. Ex military you did something bad oooooooooooo.
LOL. I guess that would make me prior. Stayed for 6 years. If I knew back then what I know now, I probably would have stayed longer.
Army 31B SGT.

Back