• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borgix ISO is 99% done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Frank:

(a) Check /etc/rc.conf and look for this section to specify the KDE version to start:

# XSESSION is a new variable to control what window manager to start
# default with X if run with xdm, startx or xinit. The default behavior
# is to look in /etc/X11/Sessions/ and run the script in matching the
# value that XSESSION is set to. The support scripts are smart enough to
# look in all bin directories if it cant find a match in /etc/X11/Sessions/,
# so setting it to "enlightenment" can also work. This is basically used
# as a way for the system admin to configure a default system wide WM,
# allthough it will work if the user export XSESSION in his .bash_profile, etc.
#
# NOTE: 1) this behaviour is overridden when a ~/.xinitrc exists, and startx
# is called.
# 2) even if ~/.xsession exists, if XSESSION can be resolved, it will
# be executed rather than ~/.xsession, else KDM breaks ...
#
# Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
#
# Gnome - will start gnome-session
# kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
# Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps

XSESSION="kde-3.5"

(b) If you need hosting either direct link or (preferably) via Bittorrent let me know - I have a server which uses ~600GB/mo less than it's allowance.

Welcome to the very bestest part of remastering a cool looking knoppix!!!1
! Getting the KDE config you built while chrooted to survive the knoppix boot process uncathed once you've made it back into an ISO is a tricky thing.

Here's a thread with great info about it and links to more threads: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18907

Basically, some edits to the 45-xsession script will do it. And there's also a shotgun approach to forcefully overwrite knoppix configs with your own at the end of knoppix-autoconfig. This tends to neuter some of persistent home... i e, someone changes background, menus, etc while booted live, and makes persistent home directory, then boots with the code to use their personal config, and finds their kde configs stuff overwritten. However if they saved some office docs they wrote in persistent home or some folding progress, that will not be overwritten. I think I took to using both methods at once and have never looked back, given so much work went into the "look" and "menu coherency" of the later releases of Overclockix.

not to threadjack but, any progress on the next version of Ovreclockix? I could use the previous because kernel did not support my board, specifically the ICH7 chipset

I suppose I'll do an update release soon, and follow up with a 4.0 based version at some point. I've gotta get with david and ploaf about hosting first, bc we need to move to a different host before I do any more iso's.

There are 2 kernels on the live CD. Neither of them worked?

I don't believe so. Its gotta be 2.6.10 or higher for it to support by chipset, but I'll try downloading it again and see what happens

It uses 2.6.9 and 2.4.27. Hmm, you might be surprised if you can install knoppix-style on another box and then upgrade the installed system's kernel with apt-get, and then transplant the drive.

That may sound crazy and full of potential pitfalls, but so long as you know beforehand that that your bootloader is configured as it should be, and/or make an old school boot floppy....

Of course Ocix 3.79 is kinda tricky to install and likes to present you with some annoying post-install bugs... hence the need for an update.

Arkaine23 said:
I suppose I'll do an update release soon, and follow up with a 4.0 based version at some point. I've gotta get with david and ploaf about hosting first, bc we need to move to a different host before I do any more iso's.

Feel free to grab me on AIM or MSN or on IRC in #octeams if you need me :p

Arkaine23 said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

hell just steal the Gentoo liveCD and include their folding at home client (auto detects the number of CPUS) have it run in the ram drive and then just write or borrow an install script. Plus portage is IMO the best package management system out there.

If you guys need help with some bandwidth (besides the bittorrent, if someone wants to download direct) let me know.

What's special about borgix, aside from the little things warg has written into it is primarily that it uses a Mosix kernel & LAMP/MIP. Boot more than one of these on your home network and you have an instant cluster. He's looking ahead to the day Stanford & Gromacs come up with a cluster FAH client.

Don't give up man, I posted some a link that explains where and why and how the configs are getting overwritten and what to do to stop it.

Uhm... i made a big oopsie on Borgix today. I kinda set things back BIG-TIME. Warg (even with Arkaine's help) couldn't get the KDE working right on the ISO (it keeps defaulting back to base KDE no matter what he did)... and I said "Dude, lemme have a crack at it... what's the worst that could happen?"

Worst case scenario? Not sure if Warg can rebuild from my big mistake..... (does a rm -rf /etc/* mean anything to you?) But he's trying....

TollhouseFrank said:
Uhm... i made a big oopsie on Borgix today. I kinda set things back BIG-TIME. Warg (even with Arkaine's help) couldn't get the KDE working right on the ISO (it keeps defaulting back to base KDE no matter what he did)... and I said "Dude, lemme have a crack at it... what's the worst that could happen?"

Worst case scenario? Not sure if Warg can rebuild from my big mistake..... (does a rm -rf /etc/* mean anything to you?) But he's trying....

dont have a clue what that does, but why wouldnt you guys backup often, incase there is a problem?

Back