• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought Laptop need some help removing win 8 and adding 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just use Classic Shell.
Windows 8 is actually more secure and runs faster than 7.

It makes the UI of Windows 8/8.1 look like Windows 7

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-benchmarked_p2-7000002671/

Faster across the board.

Most programs are running the same on Win7 and Win8. There are changes in drivers etc what can cause some differences. Also there is real time clock "bug" in Win8 what causes some benchmarks to show higher results ( that's why win8 is not allowed on hwbot ).

Win8 is booting faster just because of full support for UEFI and somehow integrated boot loader ( you can turn off this feature but then you will lose couple of seconds in boot ).

It doesn't change fact that Win8 will be supported longer and will have more improvements as some developers will rather focus on a new system than old.

If you are using USB 3.0 devices then you may also have issues with speed on Win8/8.1. There is only one integrated USB 3.0 driver controlled by system. If it crashes then you have to reinstall system as there is no fix for that. So simply never try to uninstall USB 3.0 driver deleting drivers from the drive as you won't fix it later.
Going back to speed of USB 3.0 , most devices are switching between USB modes and often run as max ~40MB/s. I had many issues testing various flash drives, USB 3.0 drive readers and external USB 3.0 drives on Win8/8.1. Sometimes max bandwidth is working, sometimes not. Maybe one day MS will make fix for that.

@Horrerblade

You can still use Win7 without issues as drivers are probably the same for all devices ( except that USB 3.0 ). In this case you have to format drive but you can leave recovery partition untouched if you don't want to delete it. I can't see any recovery Win7 option for this notebook.

Last edited:
Most programs are running the same on Win7 and Win8. There are changes in drivers etc what can cause some differences. Also there is real time clock "bug" in Win8 what causes some benchmarks to show higher results ( that's why win8 is not allowed on hwbot ).

Win8 is booting faster just because of full support for UEFI and somehow integrated boot loader ( you can turn off this feature but then you will lose couple of seconds in boot ).

It doesn't change fact that Win8 will be supported longer and will have more improvements as some developers will rather focus on a new system than old.

If you are using USB 3.0 devices then you may also have issues with speed on Win8/8.1. There is only one integrated USB 3.0 driver controlled by system. If it crashes then you have to reinstall system as there is no fix for that. So simply never try to uninstall USB 3.0 driver deleting drivers from the drive as you won't fix it later.
Going back to speed of USB 3.0 , most devices are switching between USB modes and often run as max ~40MB/s. I had many issues testing various flash drives, USB 3.0 drive readers and external USB 3.0 drives on Win8/8.1. Sometimes max bandwidth is working, sometimes not. Maybe one day MS will make fix for that.

@Horrerblade

You can still use Win7 without issues as drivers are probably the same for all devices ( except that USB 3.0 ). In this case you have to format drive but you can leave recovery partition untouched if you don't want to delete it. I can't see any recovery Win7 option for this notebook.

If the benchmarks are skewed because of drivers being newer for 8 over 7, that just makes me want 8 more since it'll get all the newest driver versions while 7 will fade out.
That clock bug only occurs when overclocking (and can be remedied when overclocking).

Doesn't matter to me how Microsoft made it boot faster, because when I'm using it faster is better.

Haven't had any problems with USB 3.0 at all.

I would still rather use windows 7. So how would i do that?

Don't be like that dude. Go with win 8.1 it's a more modern, superior OS. Also, Direct X 12 will be windows 8.1 exclusive. Not on Win 7.

Win 8 is less resource intensive, is more lightweight, is faster... why wouldn't you want it?

Classic shell makes it work EXACTLY like Windows 7.

If you go with Win 7 you're just gimping yourself to DX11 and losing some performance.

Huh?

Don't be like that dude. Go with win 8.1 it's a more modern, superior OS. Also, Direct X 12 will be windows 8.1 exclusive. Not on Win 7.

Win 8 is less resource intensive, is more lightweight, is faster... why wouldn't you want it?

Classic shell makes it work EXACTLY like Windows 7.

If you go with Win 7 you're just gimping yourself to DX11 and losing some performance.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/directx-11

Win 7 supports DX 11 :screwy:

One, all people happily using Windows 8 there are more issues than boot time. Microsoft store/account, DVD playing, and incompatible programs/old software.
Windows 8 has been around more or less 2 years, driver problems, and assorted aggravations should be past.

Two, I do not know about the Lenovo Y510. Some laptops, motherboard and/or BIOS,
only accept Windows 8 software/drivers. if Lenovo offers a downgrade option contact them about applicability.

There were HP and Dell refusing Windows 7, even from a new retail full install.

sidestep
Windows 8 OEM "mcrosoft has officially removed" hardware upgrade "rights" of Windows 7."

Three, major crime, is leaving XP Windows 8 seems a natural progression. Often a very frustrating experience. I have an older business laptop on Windows 8. Periodically, something easy in 7 is frustrating or impossible. May be I'll load Vista (have media and liscense).. But I wanted to use SSD.

Back