• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand New Gaming PC Freezing??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slippinreaction

G'day all,

I thought i would come on here and ask you guys what you think could be wrong with my PC, i recently just built a Gaming PC, its actually the first one I've actually built myself, which i enjoyed and learnt a few things.

Anyway to my problem, everything has been good on the PC, i think. I updated all the drivers for the hardware and installed all the necessary software (Anti Virus etc) I basically only use my computer for Music and playing Games (mostly Age of Conan) and the odd web browsing. Ill will put my PC specs at the bottom, if you require anymore info please let me know.
Basically my PC freezes at completely random times, a few times on start up once it has got to desktop... but mostly while im not doing a hell of a lot.. idle ling listening to music or web browsing... and its only frozen once or twice whilst im in game.. now i don't know where to start really? im hoping its not a hardware issue considering its a brand new PC - about 2-3 weeks old. so if anyone could help with any suggestions that would be great! im not exactly a full "tech head" but i know the basics about PC's.
well hope to hear from you soon.. Kind regards,

Ryan.

Here are my specs -

Computer:
Computer Type - ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Internet Explorer - 8.0.7601.17514
DirectX -DirectX 11.0

Motherboard:
CPU Type - QuadCore Intel Core i5-2500K, 3300 MHz (33 x 100)
Motherboard Name - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset -Intel Cougar Point Z68, Intel Sandy Bridge

System Memory- 4GBx2
DIMM2: Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9
DIMM4: Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9
BIOS Type Award Modular (04/07/11)

Display:
Video Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 PHANTOM (1280 MB)
3D Accelerator - nVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Monitor - BenQ FP222W (Digital) [22" LCD]

Cooling - Corsair H60 CPU cooler

Case - Thermaltake 690II Advanced Nvidia edition

Power supply -Corsair TX850 V2

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter - Realtek ALC889 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller - Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C08
IDE Controller - Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C00
IDE Controller -Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive - BUFFALO External HDD USB Device (931 GB, USB)
Disk Drive - SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive -ASUS DRW-1814BLT ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:18x/8x, DVD-RW:18x/6x, DVD-RAM:14x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status - OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) -
E: (FAT32) - 931.3 GB (713.0 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard - Razor Lycosa
Mouse -Razor Lachesis

Network:
Network Adapter- Realtek PCIe GBE Family

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor - Award Software International, Inc.
DMI BIOS Version- F3
DMI System Manufacturer- Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI System Product- Z68X-UD5-B3

Temperatures:
Motherboard -32 °C (90 °F)
CPU-30 °C (86 °F)
CPU Package- 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU IA Cores- 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU GT Cores- 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1-38 °C (100 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 - 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 -40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 - 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU Diode -37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans: 4 others on a Controller
CPU -1063 RPM
GPU -1200 RPM (30%)

Voltage Values:
CPU Core - 1.188 V
+3.3 V -3.364 V
+5 V -5.042 V
VTT - 1.080 V
DIMM -1.548 V
GPU Core - 0.963 V

Power Values:
CPU Package -29.06 W
CPU IA Cores -24.31 W

Hope that helps, ask if you need any more..

Cheers again.

Welcome to the forum Slippin :welcome:

I saw your post, I think this may be more of a Z68 issue but we shall see. Do you have the latest BIOS for your mainboard? You may try that first and if it continues you may need to try several BIOS from what I've read. You use IE8 get rid of it, I use Mozilla an love it. So before you loaded drivers did you update the OS at all? Did the GPU drivers install with out a hitch? Have you tried hitting control>ALT>Delete at the same time then peek to see what is running in the back ground?
See if any of this helps you out

Welcome to the forum Slippin :welcome:

I saw your post, I think this may be more of a Z68 issue but we shall see. Do you have the latest BIOS for your mainboard? You may try that first and if it continues you may need to try several BIOS from what I've read. You use IE8 get rid of it, I use Mozilla an love it. So before you loaded drivers did you update the OS at all? Did the GPU drivers install with out a hitch? Have you tried hitting control>ALT>Delete at the same time then peek to see what is running in the back ground?
See if any of this helps you out

Thanks for the reply, I will check to see if I've got the latest bios update. Just in case is there anything you have to do before updating your bios? Gpu driver installed no problems. When it does freeze it's like the program that's running is not responding, I try to ctrl alt del but nothing responds, the cursor still moves around but that's about it, which then I have to hit the restart button. I do use Mozilla, I got my specs using AIDA64 which put internet explorer on there. I'll check my bios and do a little research, is it common with the z68's? Cheers

edit: also I did update the OS before driver updates?

Last edited:
I had a GPU that was dying that did stuff like that once. Boom black screen, lockups, any sorts of things. Was very random. Worse yet I was running SLI, had to remove all the WC, put both cards back on air, begin swapping, running one card etc. Found the bad card, RMA, all better.

Could be the HD crashing too, or the mobo, or... Ohh what phase is the moon in your area?

Thanks for the reply, I will check to see if I've got the latest bios update. Just in case is there anything you have to do before updating your bios? Gpu driver installed no problems. When it does freeze it's like the program that's running is not responding, I try to ctrl alt del but nothing responds, the cursor still moves around but that's about it, which then I have to hit the restart button. I do use Mozilla, I got my specs using AIDA64 which put internet explorer on there. I'll check my bios and do a little research, is it common with the z68's? Cheers

edit: also I did update the OS before driver updates?

Usually when updating the bios you need to reboot set defaults in the bios, then flash it and after doing a total power down(I clear CMOS TOO). Then reboot in bios and set defaults again, boot again then set stuff the way you need it for HD'S and such.
Use the ctrl>alt>del when it is running normal to see what is in the back ground, if you see anything you don't know what it is then google is always your friend.......... Sorry so late with my reply!

Hi, Philly,
I updated the bios yesterday with no problems. It seemed to be running fine the few hours I was on last night will see how is after work. Thanks for your help appreciated.

Hi, Philly,
I updated the bios yesterday with no problems. It seemed to be running fine the few hours I was on last night will see how is after work. Thanks for your help appreciated.

Cool slippin!
what is your DIM voltage setting@ in the bois, as I have heard you may need to bump it up one or two notices but never more than the stated Voltage on the Mem stciks

Been on for a couple hours, froze once. So there must be something else.. I'll have a look later. What should it be at? Cheers

The RAM voltage and timings should be as printed on the RAM. All RAM now has the SPD timings on it. If not (rare) they are on the box. Example 9 9 9 24 1.6V 2T

In the M.I.T. section of the bios you will see the memory settings. Make sure they match what your memory is supposed to be.

You can also use CPU-Z, and look under XMP 1 in the memory tab.

Back