• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Browsers: What's your favorite?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I was an avid (fanboi) of Mozilla's Firefox. After several years of loyal service, if I remember right, some years ago they stopped updating it along with Thunderbird mail client (which was awesome btw!). So after much debate I switched over to Chrome.

It wasn't bad and I had to get used to all the tips/tricks, and for a few years I got used to it. Now I'm starting to notice a little lag and I had to start using a popup blocker (for obvious reasons), and now I'm using a VPN. Even with all the tweaks, it seems Chrome has lost it's loving feeling and I'm starting to dislike it.

No, I won't use Edge and you can't make me!

Now I'm on the hunt for another web browser. Of course speed, privacy and a pop-up blocker are a must. Easy to use tabs and the addy bar is quite useful.

So what's everybody using? Any recommendations?

Using Chrome. Don't see anything else as a viable option.
Same.

The chromium edge is fine, but I prefer normal chrome.

FF is fine as well, but I am used to chrome and it's plenty fast on my phone and computers.

Welp, guess I'll just keep using Chrome. I constantly gotta clear cache to help. Something in it is sucking resources tho. I was gonna give Opera a shot.

Ha, after several flushes and a malware run, I found the culprit. Dam I'm losing it. I should have found it right off the bat. Annoying little bugger

Thanks guyz

Chrome. No issues here.. never have to clear cache....

........and looks like you found the culprit!!

Chrome. No issues here.. never have to clear cache....

........and looks like you found the culprit!!

:rofl:, sry Joe, forgot to mention what it was: it was some sort of "PUP" booger. Can't imagine how I got that. Wasn't the first time I got them and had to do a complete flush with several scans.

Firefox here. Not a fan of the data harvesting on Chrome or Opera. Or, ironically, Waterfox.

Neb, you say you quit using FF because they quit updating it. What OS were you using then? I ask because FF get regular updates with Windows 10 as far as I know. But Chrome and FF discontinue updates after a certain point for older operating systems that are no longer supported by Microsoft.

Neb, you say you quit using FF because they quit updating it. What OS were you using then? I ask because FF get regular updates with Windows 10 as far as I know. But Chrome and FF discontinue updates after a certain point for older operating systems that are no longer supported by Microsoft.

I've was using Win8-8.1, now 10. I was using FF along with Thunderbird mail client. At some point Mozilla stopped the updates for Thunderbird, then FF. Can't remember exactly when, but once that happened is when I switched to Chrome. I read at some point FF was sold and that's when the updates ceased, then supposedly the Mozilla crew got it back, but by then I was already getting accustomed to Chrome.

Code:
GSKILL Ripjaws V F4-3200C16-8GVGB 16GB (2x8GB)

This is your problem right here. When having 100+ pages of pr0n open you want at LEAST 64gb of RAM.

Seriously, used FF, Edge and Chrome side by side. Chrome still wins, even tho I feel that Google today is what we disliked Microsoft for in the past.

Believe it or not I was bummed when I found out Edge was based on Chrome. Like why even develop a browser? I feel that Microsoft knew they were outclassed by Chrome for so long that could not build a browser from the ground up and have it be relevant enough to make the cost worth it. So instead they repackaged Chrome so they themselves could earn money from data mining.

Again, if Fortnite was playable on Linux I'd probably make the switch.

I use Firefox and Thundrebird, I have a dual boot XP Pro/Win 10 system and the last update I got for Firefox in XP I got a message saying that it would be last update and no longer supported for this OS, same for Thunderbird in XP. The last version for Firefox in XP is 52.0 and for Thunderbird is 52.9, now in Win 10 ther version for Firefox is 78.8.
I don't have Thunderbird installed in Win 10 only because TB is working fine in XP, I should install it as a backup for when I have problems with the XP version :)

Seriously, used FF, Edge and Chrome side by side. Chrome still wins, even tho I feel that Google today is what we disliked Microsoft for in the past.

Yup. Still on Chrome.

Firefox and Chrome, for real.

FF is my primary - have it with uBlock, Ghostery, all that.

Chrome for background music and Twitch streams.

I like how Chrome loads all tabs on startup, but as said above I don't trust Googe these days.

Firefox, because Chrome removing backspace-to-go-back as a default bothered me greatly. I use that many dozens of times a day while testing web interfaces at work. Also Google's intentional handicapping of ad blocking add-ons isn't cool (I use uBlock Origin and uMatrix). Facebook Container (and the whole Container system) is a nice bonus; don't know if Chrome has a similar thing.

I switched to Edge for a while, it works great and doesn't murder your ram use like Chrome does, problem I ran into was at work we use roaming profiles and Edge would have HUGE cache files in the roaming folder and it would take minutes to log in and log out, so i switched back to Chrome and just upgraded to 16GB of ram on my work machine.

I still use Firefox, but really if I wasn't so invested I would switch to Edge, it's a cleaner Chrome (which I won't use on principle). Back in the day I loved Opera too but have no idea if it's even around.

The add-ons for Firefox are still superior I feel, Chromium based doesn't offer the same customization, although that could just be because I don't know them well enough.

Last edited:
I use Chrome, even though when watching one singular youtube video at 1080p, even with hardware acceleration off, it uses a variably large amount of GPU, like 8% sustained and peaks at 20% of an RTX 3090 which I think is just ridiculous for one youtube video. Playing Halo Reach at 4k 144hz uses 50-60% of the RTX 3090 for comparison.

Back