• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

budget pc build (need help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Technub

this is my first attempt at making a cheap pc build and using ebuyer.com it has come to a total of £557.01 (or around $908 USD) and i need an opinion on whether its a decent build for all around performance (including gaming).if you can give me a better cost effecient option with only a slight performance drop it would be greatly appreciated.

Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

motherboard:Asus M4A87TD/USB3 870 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

case:Antec 300 Three Hundred Case

cpu cooler=Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Graphic card=PowerColor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card

RAM (X2)=Kingston ValueRAM Memory/4GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2) with Thermal Sensor

HDD=Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

PSU=Coolermaster GX 650W PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E 80plus Certified

Drive =Samsung SH-D163C 16x DVD-ROM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

MSI P67A-C43
Intel 2500k
Prolimatech Megalehems CPU cooler
GSkill RipJaws 1600mhz C8 2x4gb (8gb total)
MSI Twin Frozr 6950
PCP&C 650w PSU
Antec 300 case
Samsung F3 1tb
Sony 24x CDRom

Total comes out slightly more at $935usd. That system will SMOKE what you have listed above at a slightly higher cost. You could easily downscale if needed to a 6870 and save $70 or a 6850 and save about $100.

If you want to modify what you have above, Id try to go w/ a 24x DVD as thats slow on its own, a better quality PSU if possible (PCP&C like I listed, Corsair, something similiar). Ram is also CHEAP. That 8gb kit I listed above is going for $60 right now!!!

No no no no no to that PSU. Try a Corsair 600CX.

Don't want ECC RAM (for server). Go for some G.SKILL RipjawsX or some Corsair Vengeance.

Try to fit a 970 board in there.

Stick to heatsinks, the H series is quite overpriced. Hyper212+ is a nice budget cooler. But this should be the last priority on your list, I'd rather run stock and get a better video card.

Doz: Stuff is more expensive in the UK.

Oh is it? I didnt know about UK pricing. Also wasnt sure if you can have stuff shipped internationally. He posted in USD so I kind of used that figure to go by. Possibly disregard my post then :/

And he was looking for 8gb of ram Deuce :)

Back