• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffered, UnBuffered, Registered, unregistered..... WTF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forgoten

Registered
ok,
i'm lookin at crucial 512mb ddr:

DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • ECC • 7.5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 72

and/or

DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Registered • ECC • 7.5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 72

and/or

DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

now the price diff between those are (starting from top to bottom), $178.19, $165.59, $152.09

these are all 512meg ddr pc 2100 ram chips. I want to know, what in the holly h e double hockeysticks is the difference between, unbuffered, non-parity, registered, un-registered. I know that ECC stands for error correction and checking, and i know that that is GOOD, so i'd prolly stick with the top two. And i know that there is only a 10 dollar difference between them, but i've looked around on here and most ppl have the registered and not the unbuffered. What is the difference! I want some good ram, i doubt i'll overclock but :D I DUNO. so lets hear it!!!!
i am sick of my ****ty *** ram, i get errors saying out of memory AND I HAVE 768 MEGS OF PC 133.. wtf.. my ram sucks! i need some good ram!
help me out!
THANX:beer:

hey forgoten,

first off... you say you currently have pc133 ram? if that is true, the types of ram you are looking at are not compatible with your motherboard (unless your mobo takes BOTH ddr and sdr). the 3 sticks of ram you listed are all DDR ram (double data rate) and run at 266mhz.

now... the registered ram is mainly a server or workstation type memory that is used when one wants to add multiple sticks of ram to their motherboard. the reason being, some motherboards may have 4 memory slots (for example), they can accept 2 sticks of unregistered ram, but if you want to use 3 or 4 sticks, they ALL must be registered.

ECC is error correction, and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that there is no current amd chipset that supports that on the memory itself (instead i think it is done via software).

if you do actually need DDR ram, and dont plan on adding 1.5-2gigs of memory, i'd say you dont need registered ram, unless your mobo manufacturer tells you specifically that you do (mostly only servers and such require).

also, check with mobo manufacturer about whether or not it can use ECC memory or not. i had an old system that simply wouldn't accept any ECC memory... cost me a ton of restocking fees (this is back when 512mb of ram was 600 bucks).

if you need PC133 ram, you should have plenty... it sounds like you may have some problems with the stuff you currently have (for example, maybe to have 3 sticks of ram in your mobo, you NEED registered memory). because 768 megs is a LOT of memory for average computer use and/or just gaming or whatnot.

hope this answered your questions!

also noted after re-reading your post:

if you plan to overclock (once again, assuming you need ddr) get the 2400 or 2700 type memory. this will allow your ram to run at 300mhz and 333mhz respectively.

if you're actually in need of sdr, try to find some pc150 for overclocking.

can you tell me what exactly are the errors you're receiving when you have 768megs of memory?

thank you, alot!

yea my mother board has 4 slots... 2 for sd and 2 for ddr, i can only use either sd or ddr. so i should go with the more expensive unbuffered one?

• Module Size: 512MB
• Package: 184-pin DIMM
• Feature: DDR PC2100
• Configuration: 64Meg x 72
• DIMM Type: Unbuffered
• Error Checking: ECC
• Speed: 7.5ns
• Voltage: 2.5V
• SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

i'm not sure if it supports ecc or not, but i'm not at home, i don't have class till 1:00 so please help! thanx!

the errors i get aren't exactly errors its really odd....

ok, i'll be playing a game right, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING OPEN, i have no programs running and i'll exit the game and go to play something else or open morpheus or something that uses alot of ram. and its like need more memory. so i check my resources i hvae like 43% free.PATHETIC so i restart.. and when i restart most comptuers should have like 90-something% of ram free right, well mine has like 83% free AFTER A RESTART with nothing open mind you!
i think i just have some really ****ty ram. it degrades my performance and i'm allways restarting so i can do somthing.

hey forgoten...

the every popular, system resources!

actually...the type and/or ammount of ram you have wont really effect the system resources. what effects them is programs running. not necessarily only the visible ones... all the little icons down by your clock are actually running programs, and several other things can be running inthe background hidden from view.

the system resources are a very small base memory that programs reside in (someone plz correct me if i'm wrong, i'm going off experience, as well as other people's explinations). compaq's and non-custom built pc's are horrible about having extra "junk" programs load automatically at startup that really bog down the performance of the computer. oftentimes resulting in what you are experiencing... trouble!

ok, quick question: what OS are you running? i assume it is 95, 98, or me, as these 3 are the only ones i know of that let you view your system resources.

what i do to "fix" computers with system resource problems is:

hit start -> run -> (type in) msconfig

msconfig brings up a list of everythign that happens during bootup.

the very last tab (labeled startup, i believe) has a list of everything that automatically loads when you start windows. you'll probably be surprised at how many things unnecessarily startup that hog your resources.

look thru those startup programs, and UNCHECK any one that isn't necessary. if you're not 100% sure, only uncheck the ones you know dont need to be started. you can always come back later and trial/error check and uncheck the ones you're not sure about to see if they were needed or not.

i usually only leave a few things to startup. note: AOL, AIM, realplayer, and all those other things that sit in the taskbar by your clock are RESOURCE HOGS!!!. if you're not using them, CLOSE THEM! this is by FAR the biggest help in keeping your system resources up.

now...i've found that once you start getting below 85% things sometimes start acting up. once you're below 80% it's more likely. and once youre below 75% all heck seems to break loose... not always, but in general that seems to be my experience.

try to free up your system resources by doing that with msconfig (called selective startup, btw). and also by closing any un-needed icons by the clock after you're done using them (ex. exit out of your chat/messenger program instead of just signing off and leaving it running).

i'd be willing to put money on this helping resolve your problems. plus, it could just save you some cash by not having to upgrade your memory.

ddr might give a performance boost, but not enough to justify spending that much money when you already have 768 megs of sdr. plus it's highly unlikely to have anything to do with fixing the system resources problem.

hope this helps,
good luck!

and post back if you need any help or have questions with msconfig or figuring out which programs to turn off.

whoa man.. thanx for the time you spent on this issue for me!

I am running win me. i built this thing my self. so i know whats running. I assure i've been through the msconfig, startup, autoexec.bat... i've done it all. and not to controdict you but, i've heard from some guys that some ram is just plain ole bad. i'l have to admit that i got this ram cheap of ebay. and i think that was my first problem. had i known that diff types and brands of ram does affect a comptuer i never would have bought them. I am seriously convinced taht it has to be ram because i have so much of it!
thanks for all of your help, but i think i'm guna invest in some ddr ram! woo hoo
If someone has had the same prob, and they might think of something for me to do so i dont have to shell out 200 bucks. Let me know, cuz its quite anyoing! i have the hardware and software to do some prety cool **** all at the same time, but this @#$@#$ RAM WONT LET ME!!!!!

arah thanx again!:beer:

good luck w/ the upgrade!

if you still have problems (w/ system resources) after switching ram, try to verify (by ctrl alt del) that only systray and explorer are running (unless you have other programs you MUST keep running) and see if your resources are ok.

if you stop the game or program that causes problems, and end task all other programs besides those two, yet your resources dont go back up, you have a memory leak. that would be caused by one or more programs. more info can be found on www.microsoft.com under the support -> knowledge base section. type in system resources.

Last edited:
Back