• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build my new PC - please HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

braveblades

Hi,
First of all, i say hello because i'm new in this forum :)

I'd like to build a new PC for myself. The maximum budget is ~2200 USD

I want the PC to be able to achieve 3 main features:
- to be as quiet as possible (within the specified budget)
- to carry out a great performance in 3d/2d graphics tasks and high-end
gaming
- to be stable in overclocking (at reasonable values)

Currently I've chosen the following components:

Processor: Intel i4790K
Processor cooling: Corsair H110i (does it makes sense to replace standard
fan with eg. Noctua NF-F12?)
Mainboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator 2x 8GB 2400Mhz
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX
OS HDD: Crucial SSD MX100 512GB
Power supply: Corsair AX760i

Therefore, I have 3 questions:
- do you consider the above setup a good choice for the next 3 years - in
terms of selected parts (in relation to the expected features)? Maybe there
are better alternatives within the budget?
- what case should I choose that is the most rigid and as small as possible?
- does it make sense (in terms of noise reduction) to use water cooling for
GPU instead of stock ACX?

I'd be grateful for your advice
Peter

* For discussion purposes, please assume that main storage (HDDs)
irrelevant.

I dont know why people think water cooling is quiet. You still need fans. Fans are what make the noise in a system.

That's a good setup you have there. The H110i is a 280mm rad so you dont use 120mm fans you use 140mm fans. Make sure your case will fit it.

Have you considered doing this build in ITX? You only have 1 expansion card (GTX 780) so you could do it. Have you looked at the Corsair 250D? It accepts a Corsair H100i cooler, which is just shy of the H110i's performance. ITX is what everybody is slowly moving towards these days. Gotta move? Lan party? Etc? No problem. It fits under your arm. Think about it.

Otherwise take a look at the corsair 760T. Coolest tower out there IMO.

Crammed for time but the two big ones I see

dump the Ranger, Z97 OCF

Dump the eVGA , Asus Direct CUOC 780TI

both selections are competetivly priced and bring much more to the table for the money

I quite like the Ranger actually. It's a very well priced ROG board.
Good quality parts at a low price.

He absolutely doesn't need it though. An ASRock Extreme 6 is a smarter buy. However, given the large budget, one can play around and pick a mobo based on extravagance and looks rather than bare necessities.

Thanx! :) as a case i initially thought about "Aerocool Dead Silence DS" - but this is not good choice for my set up. If it is possible to build this set as small as possible package (like itx) - i'll be very happy! :) in fact, i prefer small and quite config over big tower. but i dont have enough knowledge about cross-configuration between parts to build PC consistent with the assumptions :(

That's a good board. I wouldn't call it "cheap", but it's good. What's unfortunate is the 4+2 phase VRM design. It's unfortunate that we don't yet have high end ITX Z97 boards (such as with Z87, ie, Z87 Impact by ASUS). That MSI board will hold a decent OC but those VRM's are going to be running very hot. I think that given the current availability of Z97 ITX hardware, the overclocking goals of a Z97 ITX system need to be toned down a bit.

Since these Z97 ITX boards are mostly 4-4+2 phase, I would go with the EVGA Hadron case instead of the 250D, and use EVGA's ITX tower cooler to cool the CPU. Maybe aim for like 4.2-4.3Ghz.

Check out the Hadron. It's got an integrated gold rated PSU and a nice case window.

The new ASRock Z97M OC Formula has 8 Phase power (Guessing 6+2), but haven't been able to find any reviews, about the same price.

Code:
 [url] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157520 [/url]

For great performance, and with a budget like 2200USD, would a 4930k be out of bounds to suggest? Unbelievable compute performance on that thing..

food for thought I guess? (just picked a generic ram, they are all wihtin 10 bucks of each other anyway...)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z482WZ

edit: guess that would be slightly over budget considering the case and fans...

edit 2: missed the small post saying he wants micro itx.... disregard?

Last edited:
Back