• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Recommendations & PSU Requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mount&Games

Registered
Hi folks.
After about a year of indecisiveness and being convinced i was days away from buying a new pc countless times, im finally in a position to try and sell this laptop and replace it with a desktop. I am working on a budget of £400-500 (depending on how much i can make from selling and etc).
Along with youtube and internet browsing, this build will mainly be used for gaming. I play the occasional brand new game (dishonoured and XCOM most recently) but mostly games like Assassins Creed and the Mass Effect series, not brand new but not old. I play games at 1600x900 right now, but my monitor can manage 1920x1080, so please point out how things are likely to perform if i pushed games to 1080p. I aim for max settings, reducing things like shadows and particle effects if the pc is struggling a little. I'm not OCD about framerates as long as it's smooth and consistent, i'm not looking for over 60fps or whatever, as long as im getting 20-30fps consistently im more than happy. In terms of the case, the build will need to be moved a few times a year - any tips? Should it be fully disassembled or just packaged thoroughly? Volume is really not an issue, i keep the volume high and live in an isolated room at college, no neighbours to disturb.

This is what I'm expecting to buy.
Motherboard: Here £74.99
CPU: i3 3220 - 3.3GHz Here £90.07
RAM: 8GB crucial ballistix Here £31.95
GPU: On this i'm still debating, the best bet in my price range £100-120/130 seems to be the 650ti, but i always told myself i wouldn't get a brand new card, and instead go for an 460/470/480. A while back i saw a few of these floating around at good prices on ebay, some about £80, but nothing much there now, it's all pushing £150. If there's a good bargain to be had on one of those cards when i buy the system ill get it, otherwise i'll go for the 650ti unless anyone can suggest any different Here £121.97
HDD: Here £45.96
PSU: Here £49.20
Case: Here £32.90

Obviously i'll need a couple fans and a wifi card as well, but right now I'd rather not think about that, need to keep gathering money as the budget is stretching to breaking point even after dropping from i5 to i3 and from 560ti to 650ti/470.

So any opinions? Any clever alternatives that could save lots of money proportionately to the loss? - I'm happy to lose 0.2GHz here or a few graphical bells and whistles if the saving is significant enough. Will 500W be enough power? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply, and i do have an i5 in mind if i end up with more money than i expect, but quite frankly, for the time being i'm looking to cut costs without losing much performance, rather than gain performance when it cost's so much more. The motherboard does look tempting, definately something ill look into as i don't know much about mobos.

Well i can get the 1gb version of the 7850... that okay? the 2gb version is about £180.

That will work fine I have not seen any complaints of a 1GB 7850 in the reviews, I've been doing allot of research on the net about Vram and unable to find complaints for the lack of Vram, so that is a good thing you won't have any trouble.

Ideal, many thanks as i was unsure about the 650 ti, hence why i was looking into 4 series cards.

Back