• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a mATX/Itx build ryzen 3000 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going to go ahead and get the MSI b450m gaming plus board. Thank you all for your input. There was just so many options and so much data out there it was hard to make a good informed decision.

So much of the time there are no right and wrong decisions in these matters because there are so many variables. And no matter which way you decide there are trade offs. You can't have all of everything because some of the things we may want in our system are contra indicated with regard to one another. For instance, optimal power delivery and optimal cooling vs. small form factor.

I was reading New Egg reviews on the MSI B50 Pro-VDH and one of the reviewers said, like you Dave, that he was running a 3900x on this board with no issues. He was quite emphatic about it. What is even more surprising is that there is no heat sink on the VRM section of this motherboard.

No, there is a heatsink, they call it a "Heavy plated heatsink". See Below:

B450M Pro-VDH.jpg

Sorry, I got that one confused with the MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX AM4.

On your board, did you find the RAM slots overly snug? That was a complaint from several reviewers on NewEgg.

Sorry, I got that one confused with the MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX AM4.

On your board, did you find the RAM slots overly snug? That was a complaint from several reviewers on NewEgg.

No, I've had two different sets of G.Skill in it without noticing that issue.

I ended up getting the 3700x, but I'm using the stock cooler for it. I will be upgrading to a ×2 140mm aio when I can afford to. I also found an old thermaltake tr2 450w 80+ gold psu that I'm going to use as well. I plan on upgrading that as soon as I can. The case I bought has 2 120mm fans preinstalled in the front as intake. Would it be a good idea to move 1 of those to the back as exhaust?

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to move one of the fans to the rear where it will help exhaust the hot air coming off the OEM AMD cooler.

I ended up getting the 3700x, but I'm using the stock cooler for it. I will be upgrading to a ×2 140mm aio when I can afford to. I also found an old thermaltake tr2 450w 80+ gold psu that I'm going to use as well. I plan on upgrading that as soon as I can. The case I bought has 2 120mm fans preinstalled in the front as intake. Would it be a good idea to move 1 of those to the back as exhaust?

I'm running my 3900X and RX 5700XT setup off a 450W EVGA PSU with no issues. I always have a rear exhaust fan.

Back